Help! They're Opening the Fridge! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! They're Opening the Fridge!

I like to think of myself as a pretty creative person, but lately my dogs are outdoing me.

This week I've been grocery shopping 3 times due to my husky opening the refrigerator while I'm gone and he and Cafall helping themselves to the fridge buffet line.

So far I've tried:

Blocking the Door with a Diningroom Chair: They moved the chair and commenced eating.

Tying the door shut with a scarf and anchoring the scarf with knots through the hinge on the neighboring cabinet: They chewed through the scarf and had a smashing good time (emphasis on smashing as they busted open a bottle of salsa to go with the burritos )

After nanny cam revealed it was the husky, Finder, doing all the opening I crated him the next time I left. He busted outta his crate, demolishing it in the process, continued his glutinous ways.

I also tried child locks but those got chewed off and like any red blooded American I'm not terribly fond of the idea of restricting my own refrigerator access.

Finder can't be shut in a room as that triggers something from his abusive past and his house training suddenly goes out the window as he will submissively urinate until you let him out. Both dogs are fit enough to hop any baby gate easily and clearly determined enough to chew through any obstacle. The issue with training is they don't take a step out of line while I'm home so it's hard to correct. The other big issue is that the fridge has had about all the abuse it can take. I've superglued the rubber vacuum seal back in place multiple times now (Finder uses his paw to scratch his way in), but don't think it'll last for long.

I'm starting to lose my wits... and a bit of weight. Help! I have curves to maintain!
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

DIY locks?

Would it be possible to attached the baby gate in front of the fridge? That might keep them off and jumping over it isn't such a problem then.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

put a padlock on the fridge. or just beat the dogs.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would get one of those superduper police K9 crates for the Husky.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can't do any construction on the refrigerator itself as I'm in a rental unit and don't own the fridge. Also my kitchen is open concept so I don't really have anything to brace a baby gate against except in the doorway itself and that's too easy for them to jump.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know its not funny to you, but I can't help but laugh!
My daughter's dog is half Huskie, half herder, very clever girl she would open everything but the fridge, my daughter had to change all the handles in her apt.

What kind of fridge do you have?
I bought one with the freezer on the bottom with french doors on top. The freezer door (at your dog's level) is super heavy, they could not open it. The upper french doors maybe, but the 1st 2 shelves are actually drawers that hold cheese/deli stuff and fruits/vegs. It would be hard to access the upper shelves. So, can you buy a new fridge?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sunflowers, if you've got a brand or style to look at in crates I'm totally open to suggestions! Finder had a metal crate that had previously successfully contained Cafall and other foster huskies without issue but it's in pieces now.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Put a chain tightly around the fridge and lock the ends with a padlock.
brightspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

counter walking
Just another idea if you don't enjoy the crate idea.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

No worries Gretchen, their devious lil antics make for a great story. My friends and family are thoroughly enjoying the developing story of Finder's Fridge exploits. I will certainly keep that style fridge in mind when I move out. It sounds like it would work great. Alas, I'm still hoping to find a solution that won't cost $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.