German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Pecking order: for those with multiple dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/449050-pecking-order-those-multiple-dogs.html)

Zeeva 05-11-2014 04:22 PM

Pecking order: for those with multiple dogs

I saw this question on another forum and was truly stumped by it.

This guy has maybe 4 huskies and one of them gets picked on incessantly by the others. It's heart-breaking.

How do you stop this behavior?

Chip18 05-11-2014 04:39 PM

Serious loss of control by guardian!!! Best solution is most likely rehome the dog getting picked on!

Two or More Dogs
https://suite.io/adrienne-farricelli/2t5h2q5

Those links are ones I recommend but this is way over the top!

Carp load of e collars and a pro to train the user is most likely best approach! Be willing to bet that with a second set of eyes, the leader would be found and the other two dogs are following him! So maybe only one collar?

Kahrg4 05-11-2014 05:37 PM

When I take my husky, Finder, to our local husky group play date we see something similar. There's one poor white husky girl that is just so unbelievably submissive that she can turn into target practice for one of the dominant females. We (the humans) work strategically to keep those two dogs separate during the off leash play so that both dogs can enjoy their time.

If I were in this man's living situation it sounds like it might be time to go to a crate and rotate style of life. That or do some serious training, both confidence building and behavior correction with his dogs. Def wouldn't let the low totem pole pup take the constant abuse. Would be interesting to know which dog was last added to the pack and what the dynamics were prior.

Zeeva 05-11-2014 05:41 PM

From what I gather, he just rehomed a husky (maybe a foster...I don't know) that was originally being picked on. And after that husky left, the pack began again on a different member...The owner corrects them when they're picking on her but it needs to stop...

Kahrg4 05-11-2014 05:45 PM

Hmmm perhaps he rehomed the wrong dog. Sounds almost like the instigator pup needs to an only dog.

Harry and Lola 05-11-2014 05:56 PM

Unlike humans, dogs will usually always attack the weak and unstable submissives, they don't protect and nuture them like we do. I've seen it many times, see it sometimes in my own pack. Seen it in dog park situations, also read it here where someone has asked why there submissive GSD is getting attacked at the dog park or why their normally well behaved GSD attacks a submissive dog. Sad to us, but I suppose in dog world it is not sad and is a case of survival of the fittest.

IMO the only way to fix this problem would be to rehome the pup to a home where he/she is the only dog, maybe you could suggest this to the owner? But then I wonder if the submissive pup is removed, would the other 3 then fight for dominance and try to eliminate the next naturally submissive one?

Courtney 05-11-2014 06:52 PM

Only a one dog household but my parents have had multiple dogs at the same time. Maybe not the popular answer but they let the dogs figure it out. There WILL be a ranking hierarchy among dogs.

Now they did manage some & would not allow a blood bath. Packs are interesting. I guess in extreme cases a dog should be considered to be rehomed for the safety & sanity of all. But in most cases I think it's best to let them be.

wolfy dog 05-11-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 5504890)
Unlike humans, dogs will usually always attack the weak and unstable submissives, they don't protect and nuture them like we do.

Have you experienced middle school? Bullies pick on the weaker ones, just like dogs do.

Harry and Lola 05-15-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfy dog (Post 5505250)
Have you experienced middle school? Bullies pick on the weaker ones, just like dogs do.

I suppose some people do pick on/bully weaker people or people with a disability - but not all people do this. Most people I know and have known in my life do not do this, quite the opposite. I imagine we are only talking about a tiny minority of people that go for the weaker, the majority of humans do not. It is in most humans nature to want to help and protect.

Whereas all dogs will eliminate the weaker from the pack.

volcano 05-15-2014 07:37 PM

Maybe people are nicer in Australia, I think humans attack weakness.