German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Extremely shy dog help! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/448425-extremely-shy-dog-help.html)

lovekoda 05-09-2014 09:49 PM

Extremely shy dog help!

I just purchased a GSD, and he is 10 months old.
He hasn't had much training, and hadn't been on a leash before.
I picked him up a few days ago, and at first meeting he seemed to be a very happy excited dog and that's what made me decide to get him.
He was fine the first night, but now he's extremely fearful.
When I walk up to him he lets me pet him for a second, and then runs back into his dog house. I practically have to drag him out of it to take him for a walk. (he's getting better on leash.)

I've tried using treats as bribes for him, but he doesn't eat them. He eats his dog food, but only when I'm not looking.

I've done nothing but try to interact and show him that he shouldn't be afraid of me. It really makes me upset to have to force him out of his dog house, but nothing else works, and he acts better once outside...

I'm unsure what to do... he's only been here a few days, but I was hoping he would start warming up to me more. Should I bring him inside with me?

selzer 05-09-2014 10:30 PM

Yupp, Bring him inside, and give him a little time to adjust.

lovekoda 05-10-2014 10:16 AM

I brought him inside last night, and he seems more calm.
But he's not eating all that great, and I can't leave him inside 24/7.
Should I mix a little can food with his dry?

janr 05-10-2014 10:39 AM

Oh, poor thing. It was a good idea to bring him in so he is around you most of the time. I would feed him just dry as normal and keep on with the high value treats to "lure" him to you. Is it just you in the home or are there others and if so does he react the same to them? In a few days he should be much better. Let us know.

scarfish 05-10-2014 11:02 AM

not to sound negative but is there any reason he's living in a dog house? is this a family pet or a working farm dog? pets should be treated like family members. the dog will never be normal living in a dog house.

Susan_GSD_mom 05-10-2014 11:18 AM

Is there some reason he can't be a house dog? GSDs thrive best that way, near their person. He can have outside time, but his living area should be where you are. He will bond with you much better that way.

Susan

lovekoda 05-10-2014 02:16 PM

No he doesn't live in the dog house. He just acts like he prefers to be there.
Every chance I've had I take him for a walk. He's had no training so I cannot leave him inside alone when I have to work.
He also seems like he has male trust issues. He acts like he likes me, but gets really skittish around my fiancÚ.

kjdreyer 05-10-2014 02:30 PM

Hi, I'll share what's worked for me with past shy rescues. For the first few days, I pretty much ignore the dog unless he comes to me. I don't try to call him to me, I put his food down and walk away and let him eat on his own time, and NO messing with him while he eats. I offer nice calm affection whenever he approaches me, but I pretty much leave things really really mellow, and I try not to get in the dog's space too much. When he starts to act more comfortable, I act more excited, gradually start getting the dog's attention and rewarding with food. Every dog is different with how long it takes them to feel comfortable. If he wants to stay in the crate, I let him until he wants to come out on his own. Maybe your dog would like a crate in the house, so he can get used to his new people in his own little dog cave! After he starts acting like a normal dog, I start with the NILIF so he gets the rules of the house! Good luck, and have fun!

lovekoda 05-12-2014 10:33 AM

Thanks for all your help.
I'm taking him to the vet on Thursday, just to make sure he isn't sick, or has any health issues.

I've noticed at night, he breaths really hard and rapid. Plus, he's not eating.

Msmaria 05-12-2014 11:26 AM

Have you tried boiling some boneless chicken and feeding it to him from your hand?