German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Snapping/popping jaw toward face (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/448257-snapping-popping-jaw-toward-face.html)

janr 05-09-2014 02:02 PM

Snapping/popping jaw toward face

Hello,
I have a 3 year old high drive working class GSD that I've had for about a year now. She has a bahavior that I haven't been able to break her of and I'd like some advise. She snaps or pops her jaw when excited or wants something. For example, if she sees a squirrel outside she will stand at the door and whine/bark with a loud pop or two in there, or as I'm letting her in and she's trotting through the door she will snap toward my arm, also when putting on her leash or bending over to pet her she will hop up an inch or two and pop/snap toward my face. She has never made contact and I would imagine this is no mistake. Anyone else out there deal with this type of behavior? It's almost as if she's irritated. I certainly am!!

HarleyTheGSD 05-09-2014 02:09 PM

Is she getting enough exercise? If not, that could cause frustration.

janr 05-09-2014 02:20 PM

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure but will take the exercise up a notch. It's almost a habit for her especially when she snaps at my arm when I let her in. It's the arm I hold the door open with and she automatically hops up and snaps. I guess I could stand behind the door. Ha ha.

Twyla 05-09-2014 02:28 PM

As Brittany said.... the exercise.

This could be over-excitement as well. Ask for another behavior when you know she usually does the jump snap. Sit for the leash, coming in etc. She can't jump and sit at the same time lol.

llombardo 05-09-2014 02:37 PM

Air snapping?

ZoeD1217 05-09-2014 02:43 PM

Zoe air snaps all the time when she's excited.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

janr 05-09-2014 02:45 PM

I bought a flirt pole yesterday and she is nuts over it. It's funny, I will try to get her to release the toy and she will sit there and her mouth will tremble because she doesn't want to let it go. As far as giving her another behavior to do is a very good idea and will try that. It will also stop her from just charging into the house.
Also forgot to mention that when she does the snapping her pupils are dialated.

janr 05-09-2014 02:46 PM

Yes, air snapping but she gets pretty close to her target.

brembo 05-09-2014 02:54 PM

My male does the same thing when he is super amped.

LaRen616 05-09-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janr (Post 5496617)
For example, if she sees a squirrel outside she will stand at the door and whine/bark with a loud pop or two in there, or as I'm letting her in and she's trotting through the door she will snap toward my arm, also when putting on her leash or bending over to pet her she will hop up an inch or two and pop/snap toward my face.:crazy:

The biting at you after seeing a squirrel makes me think redirected aggression. She can't go after the squirrel so she takes it out on you. The snapping over the leash thing sounds like over excitement. I think more than just more exercise is needed here, I would go see a trainer.