Snapping/popping jaw toward face - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe this will help ????

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/th...tooth-clacking

I had a GSD that used to do the jaw snapping on occasion...and it always was face to face as McConnell describes. I found it somewhat amusing and would mimic my dog's jaw snapping right back at her.... It seemed to happen when she was a bit excited over certain things or wanted something....like "let me out in the backyard so I can dispatch that rabbit I see through the window." I guess I never really thought twice about it as she never took a different posture with me in any aggressive fashion while doing this...I just figured it was "dogspeak" with little if any consequence.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds like excitement to me. If i'm not being fast enough with Titan's toys he will air snap.. even on the speak command he will get amped and start air snapping.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've seen some dogs that do this, it's not handler aggression just a lower threshold dog. Probably something the dog has always done and will always do unless you think ahead of the dog - try to redirect her or ask for some other behavior before she gets that loaded. Exercise is great but IMO for the dogs I'm thinking of it doesn't really matter, it's just a genetic thing, a lower threshold dog that gets snappy.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post

I had a GSD that used to do the jaw snapping on occasion...and it always was face to face as McConnell describes. I found it somewhat amusing and would mimic my dog's jaw snapping right back at her.... It seemed to happen when she was a bit excited over certain things or wanted something....like "let me out in the backyard so I can dispatch that rabbit I see through the window." I guess I never really thought twice about it as she never took a different posture with me in any aggressive fashion while doing this...I just figured it was "dogspeak" with little if any consequence.

SuperG
Same here, never much concern, was more worried about her potentially damaging her teeth, lol. Zoey air snaps out of excitement, does the same with the flirt pole as the OP describes, won't out unless she can parade with it a time or two. Never snaps at my face though.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
redirected aggression
Agree, but it would be wrong to call it agression. Imaginary catch of that squirrel. Sometimes dogs bite people during dog fights, sometimes they bite during dog plays, they bite their handler's encouraging hand instead of the sleeve, they bite your hand if you try to cheat them with the ball. They bite whatever is there instead of the object they intended to bite, because biting is in their head and they cannot wait to start playing. That is one thing, do not mix it with snapping at your face.
That fact that she's snapping at your face tells about her attitude towards you. It is normal for dogs who are friends, and used to play rough games - to touch each other neck or face with their teeth. In the doggy language it may mean reestablishing old relationship, greeting, inviting each other to play, or simply drawing attention. So, probably, she speaks to you as she would have to another dog. But, human face and neck has different texure than the doggy's furry face and neck. Try to avoid accidents, but not the way you do it. You hide from her with the lead, she snaps, and that has become a part of the game.
You have to give her some alternative what to do instead of snapping. Does she like to bark? Ask her to sit, hold the lead behind your back and ask her to bark. She should bark not less than 10 times, reward with a treat, a click and immediate play. Very often introducing something new like a clicker helps to change the behaviour. You know the moments when she's most likely will repeat this behaviour, and, if she does, you know the sequence of your actions, train her new behaviour. That, which pays back (food and desirable click) would remain, and that which doesn't have any outcome would gradually go away. The risk here is one - she might start barking more often and for longer, and not in times when you want her to.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Tyson air snaps too, he will do it at my face if I sit down with him, he gets excited that I am on the floor and will strat licking and snapping at my face. He does this when he wants shiloh s attention, or he sees a bunny.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Never dealt with it myself. Don't think I would care for that behaviour from one of my guys. I know you can't correct that out. I would recommend a trainer or behaviourist.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My female air snapped until she was about 7 months old and just stopped. I'm hesitant to say redirection because redirection is more if amped up moment that is not controllable. They kinda go for whatever is near and don't miss.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks to all for your suggestions. After my post today I went outside to give her some exercise with the flirt pole. I tied her favorite UN-stuffed toy to the whip and proceeded to play with her. The second time I allowed her to grab the toy she ripped it off the pole, chomped it 3 times and down it went. She swollowed it whole while I stood there staring in disbelief. I called two of my vets to try to get her in and neither would take her but proceeded to give me instructions on how to make her vomit. Ugh! Poor girl but up it came. Now to find a new toy and make sure it cannot be detached!

Thanks again for all of your comments.
janr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janr View Post
Thanks to all for your suggestions. After my post today I went outside to give her some exercise with the flirt pole. I tied her favorite UN-stuffed toy to the whip and proceeded to play with her. The second time I allowed her to grab the toy she ripped it off the pole, chomped it 3 times and down it went. She swollowed it whole while I stood there staring in disbelief. I called two of my vets to try to get her in and neither would take her but proceeded to give me instructions on how to make her vomit. Ugh! Poor girl but up it came. Now to find a new toy and make sure it cannot be detached!

Thanks again for all of your comments.
Wow, glad you were able to "recover" the toy, we had to induce once before to recover a torn up Chuckit ball, not fun.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.