Do you ever irritate your pups? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Do you ever irritate your pups?

I don't ever purposefully irritate my pups.

But my husband does. And I wonder if it's a bad thing?

I think it's scary because what if the pup 'snaps' or even accidentally bites you trying to get away?

But then I think, maybe it's a good thing because it really teaches them to physically tolerate so much more. For example, Smokey wouldn't let us pick him up. But since my husband kept doing it to him, now he tolerates it. And maybe it'll come in handy when he's older. Or, for example, Smokey HATED being touched on his tail or his behind but now he tolerates it and this might help us at the vet or if he's around a tail pulling child...

Do you ever irritate your pups?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Never and I don't allow anyone else to either. Most of the time you can condition them to tolerate all the stuff you mentioned. My oldest doesn't like when people other then family grab her collar and one day she was sick and throwing up and a friend grabbed her collar to pull her off the bed, she bit him. Completely his fault and he never did that again. She might have been okay if she wasn't feeling sick to begin with. I can grab her anytime with no issues, I do request a muzzle for my little spitfire at the vet , even though she has never gone after them.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not on purpose, ever. I think I irritate him when he cannot steal my food, cannot pester the old dog or when I close the bathroom door before he can get to the toilet paper roll.
I never allow anyone to irritate my dogs, no matter who it is.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My boyfriend purposely irritates my 19 month old, Varick. I, personally, think it hurts the bond between the two. Varick gets snappy and rough, then my boyfriend gets angry. Well, I can honestly say that I can't blame the dog!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

no, i have more respect for mine than to do something like that

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean?

I bite Draco's ear, lol, it starts our wrestling match. As soon as I do it he gets all hyped up and he'll chew on me but very gently and he always stops when I say "ow" or "enough." I don't know if that's irritating or not.

I tickle Sinister's feet when he sleeps, he'll randomly kick at me and I giggle.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
My boyfriend purposely irritates my 19 month old, Varick. I, personally, think it hurts the bond between the two. Varick gets snappy and rough, then my boyfriend gets angry. Well, I can honestly say that I can't blame the dog!
It doesn't only irritate the dog I guess? And then him getting angry? Red flag!
There are plenty of "boyfriend" threads out here.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't purposely irritate my boy. However, I have really bad restless leg syndrome and there are times the meds don't cover it. I have to get up and walk around, stand in a warm shower, stretch, toss and turn, etc The dog gets a little ticked like "go to sleep already!". I don't tease him or try to tick him off, but I know he gets bugged when this happens and sort of gets mad at me.
Cara Fusinato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Could you provide some for instances? I'm trying to figure out the difference between roughhousing, instigating play and irritating. I grab Varik's forelegs quite often and has bites at my hands, but he enjoys it and it leads to more gentle rough housing like toe getting (he's figured out to lie with one leg curled under his head so I can only get one foot .. smarty pants) but he's grinning the whole time.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The worst part is the dog snaps/bites while trying to get away…that means the dog is in defense and wants to get away rather than fight/play.

At first I thought you were talking about drive building, which wouldn’t be such a bad thing, but if your husband/boyfriend/whoever is doing it and the dog is clearly not having a good time and is getting defensive, this is very dangerous. You’re creating a situation in which although the dog probably won’t bite its owner, given the same situation somewhere out in public, it will snap at a stranger.

There is a better way to “irritate” a dog. It’s to withhold the reward or something they want. You can either move the toy fast enough and block the dog when it goes for it, or you restrain the dog and don’t allow it to get to the toy. This is a fun thing for them, the dog will go into prey rather than defense. You should also be able to wrestle or “fight” with the dog for the reward object in this situation and it would lead to the same type of confidence you’re seeing with your dog…but in a much more positive situation.

Are you back in Chicago? I know it would be a bit of a drive for you, but if you’d like to come up to one of my training sessions we can probably teach you and your husband a much more positive way to play with your dogs and get the same results. PM me if you're interested and maybe we can work something out.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.