Won't stop tail chasing. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Won't stop tail chasing.

At first it was cute.. until I heard it can be hurtful to them in the long run so I've been trying to get him to quit chasing his tail. He has TONS of things to play with, we play with him all the time, but the times we have him out and we're not playing with him, he'll chase his tail. I tell him no like 4-10 times a day just for tail chasing alone and I give him something to play with, but he always resorts to chasing his tail eventually.
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Mark with a no and then punish it everytime you see it.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Man- he could be doing it because he's bored and its getting tour attention, I second adding the correction, how old is your dog though? I know someone who has a working line shepherd that actually had to have the tail docked because of obsessive tail chasing :/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Which probably easily could have been averted if they just punished it before it came to that.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I tell him no, he stops.. for a few minutes. I'm not sure how to 'punish' a dog. If I put him in the crate for a few minutes, he'll chase his tail in there. I've seent it, I've seent it. He's a stubborn butthole who likes to chase his tail.

Is spraying that icky tasting stuff on his tail an option? Hahah. I don't want to think about chopping his tail off. GSD's have awesome tails, so..
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

One of these days I'm going to open a school that teaches nothing but how to positive punish dogs. Throw a pillow at him, hit him with a flip flop, or give him a little kick. A no isn't a no without an unpleasant consequence.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
When I tell him no, he stops.. for a few minutes. I'm not sure how to 'punish' a dog. If I put him in the crate for a few minutes, he'll chase his tail in there. I've seent it, I've seent it. He's a stubborn butthole who likes to chase his tail.

Is spraying that icky tasting stuff on his tail an option? Hahah. I don't want to think about chopping his tail off. GSD's have awesome tails, so..
How old is your dog? I didn't start really correcting Anna until she was 5 months BUT Anna is no normal dog.... On a normal dog I.. I dunno I wouldn't be to harsh on a pup, but if it were my dog (knowing that my dog knows down and knows stay or "place" ) I would keep the dog leashed while inside or while I was home with a pinch collar and if he or she chased its tail I would pop with the collar and put the dog in "place". if the dog can't handle "free time" then start adding something constructive to what it's doing by giving it a mark and ha if it stay, maybe give an awesome bone to chew while in this designated spot?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Tail chasing is an OCD behavior. Gsds are prone to them. Corrections/punishment (negative attention) reinforce the behavior and may make it worse.

This article lays out OCD in dogs and steps to eradicate the behavior.
Help for OCD Dogs - Whole Dog Journal Article

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It specifically said attention it never said anything about punishment or corrections.

Punishment in terms of operant conditioning is key to making that behavior go extinct. That's actual physical punishment. Not yelling no with no consequences, not giving an evil eye, and certainly not following some insanely silly counter conditioning protocol which i guarantee you is 100% unproven and has never yielded perfect results in anything but the most mild cases.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Also punishment by definition can't be reinforcing or it wouldn't be punishment so there is that too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.