German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Ears relaxed (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/445145-ears-relaxed.html)

OZ! 05-02-2014 12:44 AM

Ears relaxed

2 Attachment(s)
I noticed when Zephyr approaches one of us, including my 2 yr old she relaxes her ears & lowers her head. Shes licking & relaxed so I wasnt worried but I did some research & read this was a sign of respect trying to make themselves apear smaller. Is this true? Any other time her ears are up. Do your dogs do this?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Castlemaid 05-02-2014 12:58 AM

Yes it's true - it is a sign of respect and submission, and is completely appropriate behavior when approaching a person, a child, or another dog. Does not neccessarily mean that you have a submissive dog, but a respectful, confident dog, since his ears are up normally.

Ellimaybel 05-02-2014 01:01 AM

Gunther greets me at the door and my husband at the gate the same way. Relaxed, not lowered in fear, grinning, and tail wagging like mad.

OZ! 05-02-2014 01:05 AM

She is definately a confident dog thats why I noticed this behavior & was interested in why she did it. I have another dog & shes never done this but she has never been on board with typical dog body language lol so it was new to me.

Ellimaybel 05-02-2014 01:09 AM

None of the members of my household are on board for anything typical ;) Everyday I encounter something and the words, statements, and questions that come out of my mouth make me shake my head in wonder. Never did I think I would have to tell a cat to stop licking the dirty vacuum cleaner. Or have to tell the dog to stop sitting on the cat. Or tell myself that the pizza cutter doesn't go in the fridge while the pizza goes in the sink. I know I rambled there, just relating to your non typical comment lol

OZ! 05-02-2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5460593)
Gunther greets me at the door and my husband at the gate the same way. Relaxed, not lowered in fear, grinning, and tail wagging like mad.

Yes thats what she does.

OZ! 05-02-2014 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5460609)
None of the members of my household are on board for anything typical ;) Everyday I encounter something and the words, statements, and questions that come out of my mouth make me shake my head in wonder. Never did I think I would have to tell a cat to stop licking the dirty vacuum cleaner. Or have to tell the dog to stop sitting on the cat. Or tell myself that the pizza cutter doesn't go in the fridge while the pizza goes in the sink. I know I rambled there, just relating to your non typical comment lol

Haha I know exactly what you mean!

OZ! 05-02-2014 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5460609)

In one of my pictures my 2 yr old is looking at the candle like a tasty treat. They're her fave. She prefers the blue candle variety.