Level of smarts for a GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Level of smarts for a GSD?

How smart are GSD's compared to other breeds?

Is every GSD different in terms of how smart they are (silly question, I know, but I'm asking in terms of your experience if you've had multiple GSDs)?

Can you describe the average level of smartness a GSD possesses in terms of how quickly they can pick up new training and retain it?

I ask this because I wonder if my husky is above the average husky in terms of breed standard smartness or if Zeeva is a bit below. And I know it's all relative but I'm just asking more in terms of your experiences...

Smokey, my husky, is EXTREMELY food motivated which I think makes him unlike most huskies. He will attempt new behaviors if I ask him something that he hasn't done before. And if I can get him to do the task at hand, he'll remember it after about 2 successful consecutive attempts to complete it. He knows about 15-20 commands/tricks which I also think is far above what most huskies can achieve.

On the other hand, Zeeva my GSD, won't attempt a new behavior when I ask her to do something she hasn't done before. She simply stares at me, very focused, but doesn't attempt anything. If I can force her to for example, give me a paw, she'll understand after about 5-6 attempts. She knows about 10 commands.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would say that dogs are very much like humans in this regard. They are all different and will learn in slightly different ways. My challenge as a owner of two dogs with different learning styles is to figure out what works for each dog and to be fair to them.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well I have a master's degree and my GSD seemed to train me pretty easily, so take that for what it's worth ;-)
Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I haven't come across too many dogs that just aren't smart. In my experience, it's just a matter of figuring out what style of training works best and what motivates the dog the most. There are definitely some dogs that are easier to train. Some Border Collies, Labs, and other breeds come to mind that tend to catch on quicker but that seems to be mostly because they were bred to work very closely with people and tend to be rather driven to please. I've had some hounds and lap dogs in my classes that everyone assumes are just stupid because they don't catch on immediately when they just needed a different training style or a different form of motivation (toy instead of treat or something). Of course, this can all vary depending on the individual.

I don't have too many years of experience with GSD's but from what I've seen they tend to be rather sharp, but sometimes have their own ideas of how something should be done. Not quite as handler obsessed as a border collie but very intelligent nonetheless. Again, it can change depending on the individual, so it's hard to make consistent generalizations.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.