German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Training my dog to tolerate strangers (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/443402-training-my-dog-tolerate-strangers.html)

Alice whiteoak 04-27-2014 06:37 AM

Training my dog to tolerate strangers

I recently asked about my dog nipping a stranger on a walk and... he's done it again. To be fair, he'd just been chased down by a dog and the person he nipped was the owner of said dog. My dog's 11 months old and with the weather getting warmer I'm now bumping into more people and more dogs. He seems to be fine with dogs, his back may go up a little but he'll just sniff and move on. With people though, it's seeming to be hit and miss - this makes it more frustrating because I never know how he'll react to each person!! Some he'll just walk by without even acknowledging, others he'll sniff and forget about and some he'll lunge towards (which has now resulted in two nips). It's really bothering me now because I'm beginning to dread taking him out and I think my own personal insecurity about being 17 with a big dog is contributing.
Does anyone have any tips on how I can train my dog to be more laid back on walks?
Thanks.(

scarfish 04-27-2014 07:40 AM

i'm not a trainer and also never had that problem so i really don't have anything to contribute but maybe hire a trainer or get a muzzle. i've seen dogs walking around with muzzles, kinda looks funny but in your case he might need it.

GSD2LADY 04-27-2014 10:04 AM

Don't let him approach people or dogs and get a "do not pet" harness so people don't approach him.

Gretchen 04-27-2014 10:17 AM

You can put your body between the stranger and your dog. The dog does not always have to heel on the left.
Have your dog focus on you when approaching and passing people, using treats or a toy.

pyratemom 04-27-2014 10:18 AM

Is he nipping when he is in a controlled heel or on loose leash? If in a heel, then you should have control to keep him from turning his head to nip. Possibly using a Gentle Leader. If on a loose leash, when you see someone coming, shorten the lead and put him in a sit along the trail until the people are passed. If he remains calm, click and treat the behavior. If he goes after a person, immediate correction and "No!" is in order. I always try to walk off the path and put Raina in a sit when passing a group of others. It's good training for her and helps the other people control their dogs as well. I'm not all that big myself - 5'2" and around 115 pounds. I can control my dog though as we work together a lot on training and trust. She knows I will protect her, but she also knows when I need protection and is there to let people know it. Don't let people discourage you because you are young.

SunCzarina 04-27-2014 10:52 AM

If I understand this, your dog nipped the human of a loose dog who chased him and you feel bad? Work on his controlled heeling and don't let people in his personal bubble. If you don't want to say 'he bites' use my expression 'his indian name is kisses with teeth' that usually has backs a stranger right up.

Don't be anxious. You can't be. Get in a class to boost your confidence as a handler. The trainer can help you with his interactions with humans.

pyratemom 04-27-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 5438050)
If I understand this, your dog nipped the human of a loose dog who chased him and you feel bad? Work on his controlled heeling and don't let people in his personal bubble. If you don't want to say 'he bites' use my expression 'his indian name is kisses with teeth' that usually has backs a stranger right up.

Don't be anxious. You can't be. Get in a class to boost your confidence as a handler. The trainer can help you with his interactions with humans.

I love the indian name game! But, remember any emotions you have travel down the leash.If you are anxious, your dog will know just the way he knows if you are afraid or nervous. Try to remain confident when walking your dog. They can tell if you get nervous at something ahead that you see. Be positive, be a leader, but most of all be tuned in to your dog so you know what his attitude might be toward a person before the nip happens.

Chip18 04-27-2014 01:43 PM

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...allenging.html

Most of what you need is in post 8:

New Dog, Very Challenging - German Shepherd Dog Forums

"Who pets my puppy or Dog is what I do" unless you "know" another dog is safe, stay away from them! If he gets attacked..you'll be dealing with a whole set of different issues.

My dogs are taught to ignore other dogs and my GSD was taught to ignore people..."move alone dog nothing to see here."

As long as your..."not sure" how your dog "will react" then he should never be allowed to initiate any meeting. You should be between your dog and people and don't be or do "I thought my dog was friendly folks!"

Dog should be behind you or alongside "never in front" and pulling. :)

Lauri & The Gang 04-27-2014 03:50 PM

Do a Google search on LAT training. It can help greatly with reactive dogs.

Gwenhwyfair 04-27-2014 04:01 PM

Dog has nipped people twice now.

OP is only 17 and sounds like not a lot of experience with GSDs.

I really strongly recommend you find a good trainer, one that is experienced with GSDs. Preferably a trainer that works with dogs in bite sports/IPO if you can find one.

I'm afraid that if your dog feels like he's winning i.e. nipping gets the result HE desires you're going to have a dog with a 'bite history' before you know it.

Nothing against the good advice given here but given the situation, your age, your lack of confidence you mention, the dog's age I think you need more hands on guidance to set you and your dog up for success then what you can get on the internet.

This, IMO, is not something to mess around with for your sake and your dogs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice whiteoak (Post 5437650)
I recently asked about my dog nipping a stranger on a walk and... he's done it again. To be fair, he'd just been chased down by a dog and the person he nipped was the owner of said dog. My dog's 11 months old and with the weather getting warmer I'm now bumping into more people and more dogs. He seems to be fine with dogs, his back may go up a little but he'll just sniff and move on. With people though, it's seeming to be hit and miss - this makes it more frustrating because I never know how he'll react to each person!! Some he'll just walk by without even acknowledging, others he'll sniff and forget about and some he'll lunge towards (which has now resulted in two nips). It's really bothering me now because I'm beginning to dread taking him out and I think my own personal insecurity about being 17 with a big dog is contributing.
Does anyone have any tips on how I can train my dog to be more laid back on walks?
Thanks.(