German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   General question about living with a GSD.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/442985-general-question-about-living-gsd.html)

Messa 04-25-2014 06:56 PM

General question about living with a GSD..

I hope this is in the right spot.

My last dog (not a GSD) had severe behavioral issues that couldn't be corrected with the help of many trainers and even medication. We came to believe he had brain damage, or something along that line.

He was extremely hard to live with. I loved him to death, but I had to be on him every minute of every day. I know puppies require a ton of work and constant supervision, but this persisted throughout adulthood. He never sat still for a second even if he had been exhausted from training and exercising, as if he had ADHD, and wouldn't let me or anyone in my family relax. It was more stressful than I can explain. I won't even begin to get into all his aggression issues.

I suppose I'm just afraid of what living with a normal dog is really like. Provided you exercise your dog, play with him, give him lots of training throughout the day and toys to occupy his mind, you should be able to have some time to just chill and relax, shouldn't you? I have PTSD among other issues, and whichever pup I get will eventually be trained at least partially in psychiatric service, but because of my conditions I do need down time--a little more than most people. Would normal dogs allow this at all?

Thanks!

Chip18 04-25-2014 07:04 PM

Uh the first question that come to mind is "what" was your previous dog?? Is this a CIA thing? :)

scarfish 04-25-2014 07:08 PM

**** Removed by ADMIN ****

if you're gung ho on a GSD adopt an elderly showline. a puppy, especially a working line might nap an hour here and there but there really is no down time.

Messa 04-25-2014 07:25 PM

I'm not concerned about puppy energy, but going ten+ years with a dog that can't sit still a second regardless of exercise, physical and mental, isn't pleasant. I suppose in my opinion there's a difference between extremely high energy, which is understandable and seems like something that would be generally manageable, and just pure inability to take a second to lay down. Maybe that's a better way to put it?

Chip18 04-25-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5432521)
there's no such thing as PTSD.

Seriously??? I have "not" been in the military. But I was clinically diagnosed with PTSD after the lost of my Boxer/Mix in an accident that was my fault! Had it not been for a diabetic check up I would not be here today!

I buried Stewie in our backyard in San Jose, in 2001, when we moved to NV in 2003, I dug him up and brought him with us!

I plan on cremating his bones on 9/9/2014. All of us don't handle a loss in the same way...just saying.

Messa 04-25-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5432833)
Seriously??? I have "not" been in the military. But I was clinically diagnosed with PTSD after the lost of my Boxer/Mix in an accident that was my fault! Had it not been for a diabetic check up I would not be here today!

I buried Stewie in our backyard in San Jose, in 2001, when we moved to NV in 2003, I dug him up and brought him with us!

I plan on cremating his bones on 9/9/2014. All of us don't handle a loss in the same way...just saying.

I have to agree.. I'm so sorry to hear what happened as well.

Sunflowers 04-25-2014 08:16 PM

Find a good breeder and that person can match you up with a good GSD that has a nice off switch. That is what we did.

ksotto333 04-25-2014 08:21 PM

We have a 3 year old that will chase a ball until we stop throwing it, although we should we don't walk everyday. Our yard is large, and she can stretch out while fetching. In the house, as long as she can see us, she's fine taking it easy. Great shut off, not every pup or young dog is in need of constant attention and exercise. She's also very gentle with our 3 year granddaughter, usually laying within a few feet of her.

JakodaCD OA 04-25-2014 08:26 PM

I agree with sunflowers, find a really good breeder who can match you with a puppy who will fit your lifestyle, your wants and dont wants..

I have had gsd's my entire life, (and I'm 50 something:) and I can tell you, puppies can be rambunctious, OMG moments, but all the dogs I've had, settle very nicely with maturity..

I hope you can find the perfect puppy for you.

JakodaCD OA 04-25-2014 08:27 PM

scarfish, as for you "no such thing as ptsd" comment, UNCALLED FOR! and I'm sure will be offensive to those who do suffer from ptsd..