German Shepherds Forum banner

General question about living with a GSD..

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Soundguy 
#1 ·
I hope this is in the right spot.

My last dog (not a GSD) had severe behavioral issues that couldn't be corrected with the help of many trainers and even medication. We came to believe he had brain damage, or something along that line.

He was extremely hard to live with. I loved him to death, but I had to be on him every minute of every day. I know puppies require a ton of work and constant supervision, but this persisted throughout adulthood. He never sat still for a second even if he had been exhausted from training and exercising, as if he had ADHD, and wouldn't let me or anyone in my family relax. It was more stressful than I can explain. I won't even begin to get into all his aggression issues.

I suppose I'm just afraid of what living with a normal dog is really like. Provided you exercise your dog, play with him, give him lots of training throughout the day and toys to occupy his mind, you should be able to have some time to just chill and relax, shouldn't you? I have PTSD among other issues, and whichever pup I get will eventually be trained at least partially in psychiatric service, but because of my conditions I do need down time--a little more than most people. Would normal dogs allow this at all?

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
there's no such thing as PTSD.
Seriously??? I have "not" been in the military. But I was clinically diagnosed with PTSD after the lost of my Boxer/Mix in an accident that was my fault! Had it not been for a diabetic check up I would not be here today!

I buried Stewie in our backyard in San Jose, in 2001, when we moved to NV in 2003, I dug him up and brought him with us!

I plan on cremating his bones on 9/9/2014. All of us don't handle a loss in the same way...just saying.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm not concerned about puppy energy, but going ten+ years with a dog that can't sit still a second regardless of exercise, physical and mental, isn't pleasant. I suppose in my opinion there's a difference between extremely high energy, which is understandable and seems like something that would be generally manageable, and just pure inability to take a second to lay down. Maybe that's a better way to put it?

#8 ·
We have a 3 year old that will chase a ball until we stop throwing it, although we should we don't walk everyday. Our yard is large, and she can stretch out while fetching. In the house, as long as she can see us, she's fine taking it easy. Great shut off, not every pup or young dog is in need of constant attention and exercise. She's also very gentle with our 3 year granddaughter, usually laying within a few feet of her.

#9 ·
I agree with sunflowers, find a really good breeder who can match you with a puppy who will fit your lifestyle, your wants and dont wants..

I have had gsd's my entire life, (and I'm 50 something:) and I can tell you, puppies can be rambunctious, OMG moments, but all the dogs I've had, settle very nicely with maturity..

I hope you can find the perfect puppy for you.

#10 ·
scarfish, as for you "no such thing as ptsd" comment, UNCALLED FOR! and I'm sure will be offensive to those who do suffer from ptsd..

#11 ·
There's a breeder that has! .. But when I was suppose to pick him up, I started panicking. Horribly, about the things I've posted. I can't have another dog like my last one, and although he's a sweet boy whos nothing like my last dog, the fear of just not knowing what a normal dog is like to live with got to me. So I couldn't go :( And now there's another deposit on him. I'm feeling a little at a loss.

Tomorrow, the rest of the family with the deposit on the pup is going to see him. If they don't like him they'll reserve for a future litter. As much as I doubt they'll dislike him, I hope they will. That way I'll have another chance to snatch him up.

Thanks everyone, Chip, Sunflowers, ksotto and Jakoda especially!

#13 ·
Still no ID on this dog?

My fall back recommendation, is a Shilo or King Shepherd ,looks like the real deal but not as "intense" as a "real GSD" it's what most pet people are looking for and can deal with. My years of experience with Bully Dogs meant very little when I got my first "real" GSD!

It took me literally years to come to terms with my working line GSD. Doesn't like company, not goofy,life is serious...get a clue! Nothing like my people loving BullMastiff/APBT and Boxe,. but I finally I got it!

My next GSD will be an OS working line dog, I understand the breed standard but I like my GSD's big...125 lbs!:eek::wub:

#14 ·
#15 ·
Sorry OP. I just wanted to get that thought out.

In terms of finding a decent dog, do your best (which it seems like you are), relax! and realize this; there will be people who step up to the plate if for some odd reason the dog you get is unmanageable for you. Also, puppies are difficult but if you give them time and patience and with you pursuing an extra avenue to help it become a service dog, the pup may just turn out alright ;)

It took my GSD about 3-3 1/2 years to, what I call, calm down (at least in my mind). And I grappled with wanting to rehome her but it was worth it that I was patient. She's a splendid napping dog now...but we get our walks and our play when I say so!

If it's the puppy stage that is bothering you, you may want to look at adopting? This could take time since you require specifications and you likely won't be able to train the dog to be a service dog.

#16 ·
No worries :) I appreciate what you said. It's hard that people think PTSD is just completely made up, but I do my best not to address it.

I'm more than happy to wade through the puppy stuff, I know that's all normal and to be expected with a baby pup. But as my last dog got older, none of it went away. That's where my concern lies. You're all doing a great job to dispel that concern though, and I just wish I thought to post here before shutting down in panic and cancelling my appointment to pick him up.

#21 ·
Post 8 has my general principles:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/431289-new-dog-very-challenging.html

A GSD is different than what you had but I think you can deal with a GSD, if you dealt with an American Husky! I would not have recommended that as first dog either!

If you screw up in training... you might "wish" for your GSD to run off..but I don't see that happening with a GSD! :)

A GSD is a serious freaking dog! If you don't have your act together...people can get hurt! Look at the Shilos and King Shepherds look at the temperment. Those descriptions mean something.

To me they sound like GSD shaped Boxers not a bad thing if that's what you want? I had both, I love both, the difference was when company came over, I had to keep my Boxer from "licking company" with my GSD, I have to make sure he doesn't "eat" company! My GSD is not really a big fan of drop in's!

So really it's not about the dog, it's about you! :) There is a reason that GSD's are K9's and military dogs! They are the real deal not to be taken lightly!

Do your research know what your up for and then decide! :)

#24 ·
Good luck, Melissa! Keep us posted. I just wanted to add that I've had show line dogs that would fit your wants perfectly. Trust in the breeder to guide you and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.