General question about living with a GSD.. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Messa
Default

There's a breeder that has! .. But when I was suppose to pick him up, I started panicking. Horribly, about the things I've posted. I can't have another dog like my last one, and although he's a sweet boy whos nothing like my last dog, the fear of just not knowing what a normal dog is like to live with got to me. So I couldn't go And now there's another deposit on him. I'm feeling a little at a loss.

Tomorrow, the rest of the family with the deposit on the pup is going to see him. If they don't like him they'll reserve for a future litter. As much as I doubt they'll dislike him, I hope they will. That way I'll have another chance to snatch him up.

Thanks everyone, Chip, Sunflowers, ksotto and Jakoda especially!
__________________
-Melissa
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
there's no such thing as PTSD. it's a new made up term that means nothing. not trying to be rude, i spent 15 months patrolling the al rasheed district of baghdad as a gunner atop a humvee and seen it all.

if you're gung ho on a GSD adopt an elderly showline. a puppy, especially a working line might nap an hour here and there but there really is no down time.
I wouldn't disregard PTSD just because you're lucky not to have gotten it after witnessing traumatic events. Everyone has a different clinical makeup so the same environmental factors may effect you differently from someone else. Genetics is the gun and environmental factors can be the trigger.

It's like saying there's no such thing as diabetes just because you yourself don't have it...no?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Chip18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 2,077
Default

Still no ID on this dog?

My fall back recommendation, is a Shilo or King Shepherd ,looks like the real deal but not as "intense" as a "real GSD" it's what most pet people are looking for and can deal with. My years of experience with Bully Dogs meant very little when I got my first "real" GSD!

It took me literally years to come to terms with my working line GSD. Doesn't like company, not goofy,life is serious...get a clue! Nothing like my people loving BullMastiff/APBT and Boxe,. but I finally I got it!

My next GSD will be an OS working line dog, I understand the breed standard but I like my GSD's big...125 lbs!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Messa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Still no ID on this dog?

My fall back recommendation, is a Shilo or King Shepherd ,looks like the real deal but not as "intense" as a "real GSD" it's what most pet people are looking for and can deal with. My years of experience with Bully Dogs meant very little when I got my first "real" GSD!

It took me literally years to come to terms with my working line GSD. Doesn't like company, not goofy,life is serious...get a clue! Nothing like my people loving BullMastiff/APBT and Boxe,. but I finally I got it!

My next GSD will be an OS working line dog, I understand the breed standard but I like my GSD's big...125 lbs!
O-O Huge!

My last dog was a standard American Eskimo, mixed I think. He was bigger than he should have been with less poofy fur so he most likely was. No idea who his parents were or anything about him, really.

The pup I was looking at, his sire is VA Chacco von der Freiheit Westerholt and his dam is V Jermany v Bullinger, here's a picture of her because it doesn't show; http://bullingergermanshepherds.com/images/jermany.jpg I just hope I can still get him.
__________________
-Melissa
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,278
Default

Sorry OP. I just wanted to get that thought out.

In terms of finding a decent dog, do your best (which it seems like you are), relax! and realize this; there will be people who step up to the plate if for some odd reason the dog you get is unmanageable for you. Also, puppies are difficult but if you give them time and patience and with you pursuing an extra avenue to help it become a service dog, the pup may just turn out alright

It took my GSD about 3-3 1/2 years to, what I call, calm down (at least in my mind). And I grappled with wanting to rehome her but it was worth it that I was patient. She's a splendid napping dog now...but we get our walks and our play when I say so!

If it's the puppy stage that is bothering you, you may want to look at adopting? This could take time since you require specifications and you likely won't be able to train the dog to be a service dog.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Messa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Sorry OP. I just wanted to get that thought out.

In terms of finding a decent dog, do your best (which it seems like you are), relax! and realize this; there will be people who step up to the plate if for some odd reason the dog you get is unmanageable for you. Also, puppies are difficult but if you give them time and patience and with you pursuing an extra avenue to help it become a service dog, the pup may just turn out alright

It took my GSD about 3-3 1/2 years to, what I call, calm down (at least in my mind). And I grappled with wanting to rehome her but it was worth it that I was patient. She's a splendid napping dog now...but we get our walks and our play when I say so!

If it's the puppy stage that is bothering you, you may want to look at adopting? This could take time since you require specifications and you likely won't be able to train the dog to be a service dog.
No worries I appreciate what you said. It's hard that people think PTSD is just completely made up, but I do my best not to address it.

I'm more than happy to wade through the puppy stuff, I know that's all normal and to be expected with a baby pup. But as my last dog got older, none of it went away. That's where my concern lies. You're all doing a great job to dispel that concern though, and I just wish I thought to post here before shutting down in panic and cancelling my appointment to pick him up.
__________________
-Melissa
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Chip18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 2,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messa View Post
O-O Huge!

My last dog was a standard American Eskimo, mixed I think. He was bigger than he should have been with less poofy fur so he most likely was. No idea who his parents were or anything about him, really.

The pup I was looking at, his sire is VA Chacco von der Freiheit Westerholt and his dam is V Jermany v Bullinger, here's a picture of her because it doesn't show; http://bullingergermanshepherds.com/images/jermany.jpg I just hope I can still get him.
American Eskimo! Yeah that's the deep end of the pool! Unless you live in Alaska I don't get them! They (Husky Dogs) are always on the bulletin boards out here! Lost,escaped or run away!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Messa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
American Eskimo! Yeah that's the deep end of the pool! Unless you live in Alaska I don't get them! They (Husky Dogs) are always on the bulletin boards out here! Lost,escaped or run away!
He sure was pretty though! .. And a bully. But at least a pretty bully. General question about living with a GSD..-kaisereaster.jpg
__________________
-Melissa
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messa View Post
He sure was pretty though! .. And a bully. But at least a pretty bully. Attachment 203865
Very pretty C:

I've got a husky...and although I love him, he is so stubborn and independent that all I can do is laugh when I get frustrated with him C:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Messa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Very pretty C:

I've got a husky...and although I love him, he is so stubborn and independent that all I can do is laugh when I get frustrated with him C:
c: Thanks. That's a really great attitude to have, I envy you!
__________________
-Melissa
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com