German Shepherds Forum banner

Just playing or aggression

967 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SunCzarina 
#1 ·
I have a 14 week male gsd and 1yr female gsd. My girl rosie has never been very dominant but we have just got a 14week gsd pup who is really boisterous and quite rough. They wreck and fight constantly and really seem to hurt each other. There has been a few cases of serious snarling and snapping, do i let the older dog assert herself because he is a handful, and keep a close eye on things? He constantly follows her and ignores us, how do i bring him round to us? I really want this to work but im worried that hes going to turn into a dog that has no affection for us and have a problem dog on our hands.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
It's difficult to tell, for German Shepherds tend to be very rough players.
I don't think you should be letting the puppy bother the one year old like this. She may decide to seruously injure your pup if she has had enough. I do think your puppy is probably just being playful. My 19 month old terrorizes my five year old. He just wants to play, but the five year old doesn't like to play rough like the 19 month old.

#3 ·
I'd keep them separated for the most part and any interaction they have together should be supervised. Gsds can play rough, but there needs to be limits. Your pup/male seems to be bonding with your other dog, not you. You need to work with him and show that all good things come from you, play tug, use a flirt pole, fetch, OB etc... this will help build a bond. You can feed a portion of his food by hand while training him, this should help with the bond issues as well.

#4 ·
What Nigel said. Let the girl have her own personal space, buy her a nice bed or something. Play with the puppy. He's trying to play with her. Shepherd love can be toothy. Mine are very rough on each other. He's 90+lbs and she's 15 months old, they're throwing each other around my office on a regular basis but there's rarely any blood drwan. I can tell by his tone when he's getting fed up with her and I separate them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.