Non-GSD What is this behavior? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Non-GSD What is this behavior?

So I usually have awesome luck at the dog park.. this time wasn't an exception necessarily, but a dog's annoying behavior got me curious...

It was a Rhodesian Ridgeback, male, I'd say between 2 and 4 yrs, not intact. Not new to us, he's been there before, same-ish behavior just not as escalated until today. Like normal he constantly wanted to chase Titan every time I threw the frisbee. It started out just playful and fun. Then I noticed him "stalking" Titan. Like crouching down and pouncing to go after him, which I know is a way for some dogs to play. A Vizsla that used to play with Titan played this way.. Fine and Titan wasn't paying any mind. Well after a few throws and this RR chasing Titan every time, the RR started to get a little "rude."

He would nose Titan in the throat as he ran and then when I picked up the frisbee, not to throw it again, but to ask the owner to get his dog, the RR just jump and nipped Titan in the neck.. which Titan didn't respond to because he was so focused on the frisbee behind my back.. (thank goodness) The RR kept trying to come back at Titan and nipping at his neck, barking, tail wagging, then jumping back like 5 feet. I dropped the frisbee, because that seemed to be the trigger. And at this point I was in between the 2 dogs telling the guy to get his dog. Once I dropped the frisbee and was in front of Titan, the RR was calm and the guy came a leashed him. (all this happened simultaneously, so it's not like I watched him nipping him and then decided after a while to hop in)

I was under the impression he was leaving as the dog was leashed and was walking toward the gate (my fault completely for not double checking) and took Titan to the other side of the park to play, at this point thought we were the only ones in the park, so I threw the frisbee... WRONG apparently the guy released his dog on the other side of the park who b-lined it for Titan barking the whole way. ended up nipping Titan in the side, which at that point Titan dropped the frisbee, gave him a piece his mind, not damaging, just "get the F off me" then came to me without the frisbee. Then the RR just watched us, I put Titan in a "stay" and had to help this guy get his dog, who was turnig it into a "catch me if you can" game. He apologized a million more times. I told him I was leaving and he insisted on explaining himself so he did, saying that he just likes to chase other dogs and is just an butthead sometimes. I said he just needed to watch it. I know Titan and he doesn't escalate issues, only stops them, but most dogs don't respond that way and may have laid your dog out..

SO I know this was prime "reason you shouldn't go to dog parks," but that's not my concern right now. I am more curious what the behavior was.

It literally was like he only wanted something to do with us/Titan when we were playing.. otherwise he was minding his own business. He wasn't AGGRESSIVE. I know you may ask how I can say that, but I have been around aggressive dogs and this dog really seemed like this was how he genuinely played.. by chasing dogs.. only in our case he picked Titan and Titan only to chase. He wanted nothing to do with the frisbee itself so I can't imagine it being a possession thing.

Was this just a rude dog with no manners, and an owner who didn't train him? Was this a RR trait, to "play" this way?? And still no training from the owner? Or would you say he was being dominant with Titan? with obviously, no training from the owner?

And while I don't think this will happen, I would like to keep this as directed at the RR behavior as possible, not so much at the "why do you take him to the dog park?"

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 04-18-2014 at 09:13 PM.
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
And while I don't think this will happen, I would like to keep this as directed at the RR behavior as possible, not so much at the "why do you take him to the dog park?"
I'm out!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
I'm out!
Ha.. thanks for at least reading that part..

Whitney
and
Old 04-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OK i don't think it was a RR thing"? To me it's just a badly behaved dog thing! The owner clearly has no idea of what his dog does and no control over his dog!

His dog is basically a" dogfight" looking for a place to happen! When JQP comes in with his Dominant male/female (insert breed here) dog he can get the chance to try this:

Leerburg | How to Break Up a Dog Fight Without Getting Hurt!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Idk, Lara doesn't like being ignored, she thinks dogs are for playing (groan). when our neighbors dog tries to play fetch with its owner she used to try to get his attention too in the same way but I usually leashed her at that point or the other dog told her off and she backed off. *shrug* I'd just call it the other dog wanting to play with your dog because that's what most people do at the dog park, sit there and let their dog do whatever it wants with other dogs. The RR is probably not used to a dog there that doesn't want to play with it and got frustrated.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
OK i don't think it was a RR thing"? To me it's just a badly behaved dog thing! The owner clearly has no idea of what his dog does and no control over his dog!

His dog is basically a" dogfight" looking for a place to happen! When JQP comes in with his Dominant male/female (insert breed here) dog he can get the chance to try this:

Leerburg | How to Break Up a Dog Fight Without Getting Hurt!
See that was PART of my thought.. maybe he was just trying to find a dog that doesn't care about him and is neutral, to start something with. I am so glad that Titan is so neutral in those instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Idk, Lara doesn't like being ignored, she thinks dogs are for playing (groan). when our neighbors dog tries to play fetch with its owner she used to try to get his attention too in the same way but I usually leashed her at that point or the other dog told her off and she backed off. *shrug* I'd just call it the other dog wanting to play with your dog because that's what most people do at the dog park, sit there and let their dog do whatever it wants with other dogs. The RR is probably not used to a dog there that doesn't want to play with it and got frustrated.
BUT then there's this idea.. That really I think was his idea and just doesn't have the know when to quit and clearly doesn't listen to his owner.

Whitney
and
Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

I only went to a 'dog park' once, years ago with another guy and his dog. If I was to go again I think I'd go at a totally off time, like 20 minutes before official sunrise.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

maybe the RR felt Titan was "tolerant" of his games and just wanted to be friends?
like a rough kid looking for another tough kid whom he felt comfortable with?
I am so glad it all ended peacefully.
sounds like you have a truly wonderful dog.
Bobcat black and white tabby Dec. 2013
Ladybird-Min-Pin 1-10-01 until 2-12-14
pineconeforestGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lol Whitney, you're spoiled because you have a GSD! Whenever I've been to a dog park, or any place where dogs can run free in a group, there's only a tiny percentage that will recall. I don't think most 'regular' owners train like we do here anyway, so it's not surprising. I don't think the RR was rude, just an average dog wanting to play, and you can't blame the dog if it wasn't ever taught a recall. He sounds like a fun-loving dog, wishing Titan wasn't so obsessed with his toy, lol. I've seen that lots too, where a dog will run after other running dogs, for fun - without any interest in the toys the others might be chasing - and if they're not running, then the dogs loses interest in them.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yeah, I agree with blanketback . This sounds like persistent pushing for play behaviour that he would be accustomed to at a dog park . That being wild zoomy chases , back and forth with each other.
Your dog's behaviour , for a dog park , was probably not typical (minding own business) . This "barking, tail wagging, then jumping back like 5 feet" is friendly play invitation.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.