German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   What would you call this type of behavior? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/439969-what-would-you-call-type-behavior.html)

LaRen616 04-18-2014 03:05 PM

What would you call this type of behavior?
 
I wanted to know what you guys think of this type of behavior, is it separation anxiety, loyalty or what?

When I take Sinister to my mom's hair salon he LOVES it, he is very social and very well behaved. He LOVES his grandma very much but when she asks him to accompany her to the backroom for a treat he will follow her and leave me behind, however, once he walks her back there he quickly comes back to me before even getting the treat and he will not listen to her when she calls for him to come back.

He loves my mom, he's very comfortable being at the salon and he loves treats so why is he so quick to come back to me before even getting his treat? She will call out for him as he walks away from her and she offers him a treat and he still keeps coming back to me.

So what kind of behavior is that?


Jax08 04-18-2014 03:07 PM

Loyalty. And a desire to be with you over anyone else.

SummerGSDLover 04-18-2014 03:09 PM

Amazing loyalty of the GSD. :)

*-*Summer*-*

HarleyTheGSD 04-18-2014 03:10 PM

I agree with loyalty. It does not sound like he's nervous, he just wants to be wherever you are.

llombardo 04-18-2014 03:11 PM

Smart:) Maybe respect? My female doesn't take treats from strangers, but she will take them from people I'm comfortable with. She will take the treat but she spits it out(she did this with my boss)it's almost liked she is humoring them. Your dog loves grandma and respects her, but his loyalty is to you.

DJEtzel 04-18-2014 03:13 PM

I agree with loyalty. Patton will do the same to me at the dog park for others giving him treats or trying to take him around the park with him. He comes flying back to mom. <3

LaRen616 04-18-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEtzel (Post 5396289)
I agree with loyalty. Patton will do the same to me at the dog park for others giving him treats or trying to take him around the park with him. He comes flying back to mom. <3

Sinister and his Uncle Josh are pretty close and if he holds onto Sin's leash while I walk away to throw something away or whatever and Sin will stop dead in his tracks and won't move, he watches me and then sometimes he will bark as if he were saying "where are you going, don't leave me!" if I get out of his sight.

llombardo 04-18-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5396305)
Sinister and his Uncle Josh are pretty close and if he holds onto Sin's leash while I walk away to throw something away or whatever and Sin will stop dead in his tracks and won't move, he watches me and then sometimes he will bark as if he were saying "where are you going, don't leave me!" if I get out of his sight.

Oh I know this feeling. Both mine do this, but my female is more vocal and not happy if I walk away, even if it's my son with her.

Gretchen 04-18-2014 04:32 PM

Checking to see if you are OK.
I just like your story and think its great your mom lets your dog go to the hair salon.
Do your mom's customers like Sinister?

LaRen616 04-19-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 5396665)
Checking to see if you are OK.
I just like your story and think its great your mom lets your dog go to the hair salon.
Do your mom's customers like Sinister?

There are 10 hair stylists that work there but usually only 6 or 7 are there at a time so it's usually pretty busy but Sinister is so well behaved so having him there isn't overwhelming. The customers LOVE Sinister. People actually request his presence when they have an appointment, they usually tell me a week or 2 in advance and then remind the day before and the day of, lol. The kids love him and they are all over him. I know that not everyone likes dogs so I have him lay behind the reception desk and if someone comes in and acknowledges him then he is allowed to go greet them. I have seen even the most unsocial or "mean" customers smile and get all hairy from petting him.

I actually just posted photos of him at the salon a couple of days ago on Facebook. He was there Wednesday and yesterday. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2