German Shepherds Forum banner

Tug of war

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  scarfish 
#1 ·
Ok. So, to play tug o war with the 6 month old or not? We have been told that this could cause her to become aggressive or may cause her to think she is dominant over us. ???
What are your thoughts and experiences?
I have always played tug with my dogs. My husband has never owned a big dog & refuses to play tug with her...
What to do... What to do?...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Play tug(but make sure your dog is done teething) and let the dog win often. You are the one that controls the game always...if you aren't tugging there is no game. Who is in control/dominant?

#3 ·
That is very outdated thinking along with "never let your dog win". Tug games are a great way to bond with your dog, get them interested in you (the source of fun!), and teach them a solid "drop it" as well. Like onyx says, you are in control of the game, not the dog. Skip all the pet store toys made for humans and get a couple of good bite tugs.

Teaching Your Dog to Play Tug-of-War | ASPCA

#5 ·
That is very outdated thinking along with "never let your dog win". Tug games are a great way to bond with your dog, get them interested in you (the source of fun!), and teach them a solid "drop it" as well. Like onyx says, you are in control of the game, not the dog. Skip all the pet store toys made for humans and get a couple of good bite tugs.

Teaching Your Dog to Play Tug-of-War | ASPCA

Thank you for the links shared Bob. I found those very helpful. I have already started playing with those rules from the link. We (my pup & I) are loving this. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
LOL I sure hope it wasnt a trainer or "behaviorist" that came up with that gem.

Watch some Michael Ellis vids on Youtube on tugging.
-Start the dog on a long line, make him miss a few times to get him revved up give him a bite and let him take it.
-Call him back to you, use the long line to ensure he comes back and give him another little fight for the object and give him another win.
-Call him back another little fight, rinse and repeat.

- To teach out simply freeze the toy with your hands, say out and wait till the dog lets go. Mark and give a rebite right away to reward the out. Repeat regularly but not too much in the begining.

Letting the dog win builds confidence and develops drive for the toy. This is good for any young dog and can be transitioned into a training reward down the road.

Tugging with your dog will NOT have any effect on aggression or dominance. Its a structered game that is an excellent outlet for your dog.

#7 ·
Letting them win builds confidence. It's good for getting their aggressions out in a controlled way - you teach the control over when to bite and when to out. When you win - it's an out and that's your control. By letting the dog *win* the tug, you let them have some control.

Also female to female, if you let them win sometimes, they won't yank on it so hard and rip your arm out.

#8 ·
Just imagine you playing tug of war with another person. It's fun to win. If you lost all the time why the heck would you want to play?! I make the dog pull hard. I tug hard with him for the toy so when he wins it's even more satisfying and fun for the dog.

#9 ·
I had heard the same thing, that it makes the dog aggressive. This is the first I'm learning of the truth. I'm reassured that Gunther plays tug with me and yet still releases on both the English and German command. I'm glad I never enforced the "no tug" rule.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.