German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   I've lost all my confidence even though I was doing well (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/437641-ive-lost-all-my-confidence-even-though-i-doing-well.html)

gsdemack 04-13-2014 06:05 PM

I've lost all my confidence even though I was doing well

My girl is a year and a half and while she knows how to sit and lie down, she will only do it when she wants to and sometimes slowly.

I think I have a good bond with her. I'm still not able to walk her on the leash - she gets so distracted easily....

I've just got to the stage that I've become overwhelmed....

The only thing I can think of is going to a trainer to show me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

d4mmo 04-13-2014 06:14 PM

Tell us a little about your training methods.
There's lots of videos to be watched on YouTube for tips etc.
a trainer is always a good idea, might also be a good idea to go to a doggy school, they dong train your dog bug they show you how to train your dog.
Maybe even look into operant conditioning. I think it is the best form of training

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SuperG 04-13-2014 06:30 PM

Do what your gut tells you to do.....a trainer would certainly help you iron out any doubts you might have. Any trainer worth their salt will be able to display some of the capabilities your dog has and in doing so, will help you realize that all is not nearly lost whatsoever. Your attitude regarding " The only thing I can think of is going to a trainer to show me what I'm doing wrong." sounds very open minded and definitely a good mentality. The trainer I hired made me feel rather inadequate as he was able to get immediate results....which I was struggling with..of course. Once he helped me understand the processes involved, while clearly demonstrating his methods ( with results ) it opened my eyes on how to proceed and obtain much better results.

One last thought...getting a trainer ( hopefully a good one ) is a commitment of sorts and shows that you want this to happen and are willing to put the effort in, which is required.

Hang in there and stay the course as you get educated.

SuperG

wyoung2153 04-13-2014 06:39 PM

A trainer is never ever a bad idea. But as another stated.. why don't so share what's been going on. What you do, what's your routine with exercise and training, etc.?

gsdemack 04-13-2014 07:04 PM

At the moment I have been using positive training with treats.

She will sit when she wants something for example. Sometimes she will sit for me for no real reason when I'm practicing. It's just not consistent with her.....I was expecting her to start doing anything that pleases me seeing as she follows me around the house everywhere.

I take her out about 6 times a day - she is usually so excited to go out, but yesterday and today I have tried to make sure she is calm before she goes out. Even then, she will pull the lead when leaving and I need to hold it tight until she goes a little loose and then I will continue walking....

She knows what heel means and will do it when she's tired...

Amurphy26 04-13-2014 07:06 PM

I know how you feel. I felt like that for a while with my young bitch, she seemed to do everything I asked half hearted but we worked through it. I worked on getting her to 'watch me' and make eye contact and since we started it there's been a huge improvement.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

boomer11 04-13-2014 08:35 PM

Following you around everywhere doesn't mean the dog thinks you are the most fun thing in the world.

The dog probably thinks you're boring and knows there are no consequences if she doesn't listen.

Fix those two problems and not only will you have a more obedient dog but also a happier dog.

Baillif 04-13-2014 08:55 PM

Puppies follow you around out of instinct related to self preservation. Has nothing to do with engagement.

G-burg 04-13-2014 09:30 PM

I think getting a trainer is a good idea.

gsdemack 04-14-2014 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5370297)
Puppies follow you around out of instinct related to self preservation. Has nothing to do with engagement.

Hi,
Can you tell me what you mean by self preservation?

Thanks.