German Shepherds Forum banner

My dog bite me..

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
My dog does growl when eating his food and chewing his bone but only when you look him in the eye. If you walk by him minding his own business hes fine.

He was chewing a bone and I tried to take it away. I completely forgot he growls and just went for it, (it was in his paws and he was lying down). As soon as i did he growled and bit me on my left arm. It lasted about 2 secs then he let go. I grabbed his collar and put him in the kitchen and told him off.

My dad said hes done this to him before but at the time i didnt believe it.
Hes never showed any other agression. You can touch him all over and if he doesnt like it he'll just move.

How should i act about this? He's two years old and not neutered. Hes in a household with 2 men. Does him not being neutered affect this?

What steps can i take now? will neutering help?

#2 ·
#4 ·
I'd even plan and start setting up the trading game. Start with easy stuff (low value) that you think (know?) shouldn't be an issue and then move up to the higher value stuff.

:)

#5 ·
Leave the dog alone when he is eating and everything will be just fine. Not saying it's ok for him to bite you, but if you know he growls when you touch his food, why touch it? I'd say that him not being neutered has nothing to do with this behavior. You should apply NILIF and try hand feeding him his food for a while. Good luck.

#8 ·
Sometimes you have to take something from a dog. I understand that. And you should be able to. If you do not condition your dog to believe that you will be taking his favorite thing from him, than when you need to, it probably won't be a problem.

What I would do, if you want to take the bone for whatever reason, is to call the dog, put him in his crate, and then go and pick up the bone. At least until you work on the resource guarding.

I think that you should read up on it and work on it, because at some point, your dog is going to be growling over a bottle of IB-profin or something just as dangerous, and you will get bit if you cannot get something away from the dog. Usually, calling the dog and opening the fridge is a way to make ANY dog drop what they have and come looking for the goodies. Set this up with giving the dog a piece of cheese on occasion.

In training, you can play trading games, and practice things like LEAVE IT, and DROP IT. But, use your wits and not your power to get something from your dog. Once there is a problem with any type of aggression, playing the I'm-more-dominant-than-you card in a confrontation can be dangerous. If the dog is actually acting from a dominant position, you want to learn to earn the upper hand again, by changing your leadership style, not by having confrontations with the dog.

Again, call the dog away from the bone, and crate the dog. Don't walk up and take the bone away from the dog. Not for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.