Neutering on Monday - nervous!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Neutering on Monday - nervous!!

My GSD broke his leg just before 1yo and wound up having three surgeries, and a five month period of complete confinement - no playing, no running, no jumping, certainly no further socializing with other people and animals. This was a horrible tragedy. He had been so very thoroughly socialized prior to this. When he was able to get out and about it was winter, so things were limited. And now he is full grown at about 120#. (Please don't tell me no GSD should ever be this large, the size of his snout is even larger than sizing charts for muzzles. He is big and beautiful.) Now, he is somewhat aggressive. He is hard to handle because of his size. He doesn't care about our electric fence when the poor cross-country runner comes by our house - he will go right through the fence and chase the poor guy with his hackles up and all, one scary sight. UPS will no longer come to our door. Taking him out in public on his leash is a nightmare, as sometimes he will decide someone is a threat and he goes all ape **** on them. I can't imagine what would happen if we encountered a roaming dog his size...there would be blood. So, we have an appointment to have him neutered. This is only hoping it will help us work with his natural instincts to better train him to be our family pet and still maintain his guarding prowess; we hope he will be less aggressive when he really should not be. We take our dogs everywhere, and he can't be acting like that when we take him camping, to soccer tournaments, etc. He has never bitten anyone and we have multiple cats and chickens that he has never considered hurting. On occasion he has mouthed an arm while playing (which we don't allow) and even with no pressure applied at all you can tell he could snap your arm in a heartbeat!
heatherkess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

A professional trainer would be an excellent idea.

For you and your big boy.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes I say Trainer... a good trainer.

That and a good muzzle until you figure this out. Also, just out of curiosity, do you let him outside alone? Is he crate trained? and how is he chasing UPS and runners... makes me think he is off lead.. which he should NEVER ever be at this moment.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unfortunately we live in a remote area and trainers are few and far between. I took him when he was younger but she was 45 minute drive each way. And now, she is recovering from a broken leg herself.

I do have a muzzle and we are working with him to take treats from it now.

We live on a 30 acre farm and have 3 acres fenced with InvisibleFence. None of our dogs are ever tied up, except this one in particular, for short periods of time when we are not in earshot of him. (Taking a shower for example.) We do not leave them tied up alone either. The times he has chased a person, someone has been home/outside with him. If we leave, we usually lock him in the house or take him with us.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Neutering will not fix training issues.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is he an outside dog?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

No he is not an outside dog. He sleeps beside my bed and follows me around wherever I go. We have a dog door and they go in and out as needed.

I was under the impression and have been told by doctors and veterinarians alike that neutering tends to reduce, or take the edge off aggressiveness.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

While I am no expert.. I would assume that may be true if the dog hasn't fully matured yet, that is MAY help.. but really I have no idea. But these behaviors are already engraved into him and it doesn't sound promising that he will stop unless you start training and learn to manage it. The 45 minute drive to trainer would be worth it to me if I had a dog with issues like that. Not just for the dog but for you too.. it is creating a liability that doesn't need to be there. I have driven 1.5 hours to a good trainer when I had serious things to work on.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Neutering the dog will not change his temperament and I agree with the others you have training issues and it may be due to the seclusion -- hope it works out.
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

He should only be outside on a lead.....a dog with aggression issues should not be outside unless well contained and he has proven the invisible fence does nothing. Either leash him or get a trust worthy fence. And neutering can increase issues in some cases.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.