Chasing Flies all over Du-du Please Help!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chasing Flies all over Du-du Please Help!!!!

This is our third German shepherd we have owed and this is the first time I have come across this problem. A little background first we adopted NENE at 9 months from a lady that was moving and she did not have room for him in her new place.
We currently live in Lancaster Ca. Our home has a large back yard and I created a very nice concrete dog run on the side of the house that is approximately 15ftx25ft with a doggy door on the side of the garage.
The problem we are having is NĕNĕ started chasing flies. It all started last summer in the backyard he would be in the yard and would take a bio-break and then he would start chasing the flies that were attracted by the bio-break he would run over the du-du and it would be all over his legs and all over the back yard a total mess. It subsided during the winter no flies. This year it started up again we have been putting him in the dog run and we have the same problem bio-break chasing flies du-du all over the place legs, concrete, again a total mess. I know some of you would say just pick up after him. However We take him out to the dog run just before we leave for work in the morning we can't be there all day waiting for him to do his bio-break so can pick up and clean up. We never had this problem with any of our other German Shepherd Dogs we would let them out in the dog run in the morning we would come back in the afternoon pick up and clean the dog run no problems with NĕNĕ we get home and there is a total mess in the dog run the worst part is he covered in du-du We want to be able to fix the problem we donít want to give him up but we are at the end of the rope PLEASE Help!
aztecapiramide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Go outside with the dog and pick up after him immediately?
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If it makes you feel better, Titan pees on his front paw EVERY SINGLE TIME he pees whether he lifts or squats on occassion... there is absolutely nothing we can do about it but wipe him off every time he comes in.

So.. I would suggest.... picking up poop every evening or in the mornings before he has time to run in it.. you mayhave to get up earlier to do this.. but it's that or deal with poo paws all the time..

and finally. HI! you're in my hometown never usually see Lancaster people..

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OP leaves the dog outside in a run during the day while at work. So when nature calls, they aren't always there.

OP, I know a couple of dogs that are just obessesed with bug chasing, my rescued male is one.

I think the best two steps to take is 1) find safe fly traps or fly repellents to try to keep flies away from his run. When I had horses I installed a battery operated sprayer that would mist the area at regular intervals. They are safe for dogs and horses and not expensive. Also, electric fans, flies do not like a lot of air current. Just some ideas.... I'll link example below

2) Find a trainer to work on why your dog is obsessed with chasing flies. If you can help eliminate the behavior AND keep the flies away then you should have the problem solved.

Country Vet Metered Fly Spray Dispenser
Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I know some of you would say just pick up after him. However, we take him out to the dog run just before we leave for work in the morning we can't be there all day waiting for him to do his bio-break so can pick up and clean up. ...We get home and there is a total mess in the dog run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Go outside with the dog and pick up after him immediately?
I don't think this is necessarily possible for the OP.

I have never faced this problem before, but u wonder if there is a way to deter the flies (perhaps a supplement that makes the "du-du" taste bad to flies). Otherwise, I would say that while you are home, during these "biobreaks" try and redirect the pup's attention with toys. Perhaps that will help the dog lose interest. Hopefully others will respond with more help.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair View Post
OP leaves the dog outside in a run during the day while at work. So when nature calls, they aren't always there.

OP, I know a couple of dogs that are just obessesed with bug chasing, my rescued male is one.

I think the best two steps to take is 1) find safe fly traps or fly repellents to try to keep flies away from his run. When I had horses I installed a battery operated sprayer that would mist the area at regular intervals. They are safe for dogs and horses and not expensive. Also, electric fans, flies do not like a lot of air current. Just some ideas.... I'll link example below

2) Find a trainer to work on why your dog is obsessed with chasing flies. If you can help eliminate the behavior AND keep the flies away then you should have the problem solved.

Country Vet Metered Fly Spray Dispenser
Ahhh.. makes much more sense.. don't know why I read it as the OP let the dog out in the mornings and brought it back in before they leave. In this case.. the above would be a great idea.. I would have suggested the fan for that very reason.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can the he be kept indoors while you're at work? Crate or seperate room etc... only use the kennel when you are there to work on getting the fly chasing stopped.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Fans are a good idea and it is good anyway during the summer. Another option is to completely enclose the run with window screen.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
If it makes you feel better, Titan pees on his front paw EVERY SINGLE TIME he pees whether he lifts or squats on occassion... there is absolutely nothing we can do about it but wipe him off every time he comes in.
I thought Traveler was the only dog with misdirection

It so aggravates me particularly when I just finished giving him a bath. I feel like going under there and help direct
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

the bees have started coming out and my guy chases them (flies too). I stop him when he goes after bees but I feel one day he'll get stung and just stop. hope dogs aren't allergic to stings
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.