German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Why is my gsd acting like this? MOVED TO GEN BEHAVIOR (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/435713-why-my-gsd-acting-like-moved-gen-behavior.html)

Hunter4628 04-09-2014 08:08 AM

Why is my gsd acting like this? MOVED TO GEN BEHAVIOR

Whenever we are at the dog park he will get mad if any dog tries to play with me. He would try to chase the dog away and nip at them... He gets mad when I'm petting another dog there or if the dog jumps on me. Why does he do this? and how could i get him to stop? Thank you:)

Shade 04-09-2014 08:41 AM

He's resource guarding you, if you put the term into the search bar you'll get plently of threads with information on it

Hunter4628 04-09-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5348625)
He's resource guarding you, if you put the term into the search bar you'll get plently of threads with information on it

I cant seem to find any thread similar to mine:confused:

kiya 04-09-2014 11:13 AM

You can also google resource guarding it can be food, toys, yourself. Anything the dog feels is of high value.

Freddy 04-09-2014 11:13 AM

Search resource guarding. You are the resource he's guarding.

carmspack 04-09-2014 11:21 AM

GSD are not good candidates for dog parks.

misslesleedavis1 04-09-2014 11:45 AM

I have noticed ty acting weird when I am paying attention to one of my other dogs. Not in an nip growl way just in a standing there and whining and trying to push his head into what im doing way. You dog sounds like he is resource guarding you, I think you may find lotsa info here on it aswell as youtube :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

wyoung2153 04-09-2014 11:48 AM

Personally.. I would stop taking him to the dog park if those are the issues you are having. Research, Resource Guarding, if you haven't already, and it might help to consult a trainer just so they can help.

Is it necessary to be able to go to the dog park?

MaggieRoseLee 04-09-2014 12:16 PM

To me, shows he's in charge of your relationship. Who you say hey to. Who you relate with.

In my life, my dog isn't in charge of my relationships. I am.

Leadership isn't something many of us naturally have in a relationship with our dogs. But if we don't get it, there can be alot of problems when the dog has been led to believe they are the leader in the relationship with their human. Funny how it makes them more insecure and fearful cause they don't actually have the skills and knowledge to be in charge when we leave it to them.

One of the many reasons many of us go to dog classes is it's such a simple way to shift the relationship back to normal with us as the leader. Fun, easy, clear to the dog.

Another good resource is The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. Great book and an easy read, not an obedience book so I always love that!

Out & About Dog Training Positive Reinforcement Liz Maslow Certified Pet dog Trainer Positive Methods for Positive Results Main Line Dog trainer - Resource Guarding

Mine! How to Stop Your Dog's Resource Guarding. - Sacramento dog training | Examiner.com

Living with and Managing Resourc

Also if you are working on --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html it all helps.

martemchik 04-09-2014 12:21 PM

Actually...right now is the perfect time to solve this. Avoiding the problem is not always the best solution, and at the moment your problem isn't that huge.

You have to show the dog that its YOUR choice when and with who you choose to interact and its not his decision to drive other dogs away from you...especially friendly dogs.

Since he's currently not being extremely aggressive, you can correct this behavior. Just don't allow him to chase away the other dog. Put him on lead, make him sit, and pet the other dog, then pet him, then pet both at the same time. If he tries to go at the other dog, correct him. If he tries to get in between you and the other dog, correct him and put him in a sit or a down next to you while you pet the other dog.

Start out slow, and only do this for a second or two with a dog you're noticing your dog is having problems with. Of course after a few pets, reward your dog with something of high value to him.