German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Aggressive behavior with newborn baby (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/433417-aggressive-behavior-newborn-baby.html)

brebrehj 04-03-2014 11:21 PM

Aggressive behavior with newborn baby

My newborn is close to 2 weeks old. My 1 year old GSD is super sweet and gentle with the baby. My 4 year old GSD goes crazy when in the same room with him. He tries to root the baby with his nose and barks at him. He goes crazy trying to get to the baby. We've tried having me hold the baby while my sister stands by his side just in case. We've tried my sister holding the baby while I stand by his side. The "introductions" end with him being pulled back and having a wild look in his eye that is difficult to read, that I have only seen when he sees a cat.
Has anyone else experienced this or have any info or tips on how to get him to calm down and accept the new family member?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TinkerinWstuff 04-03-2014 11:26 PM

Have you considered consulting with a trainer? You realize the risks here right?

gsdsar 04-03-2014 11:32 PM

You really really need to get a professional into your home to evaluate and discover the root of your dogs aggression/insecurity with the baby. You need to do this tomorrow. No waiting.

I don't want to sound harsh, but your babies security is paramount. And someone needs to actually see the interaction to determine the cause and recommend if it can be fixed.

No one on this board is qualified to help you based on a web posting. This situation is possibly too dangerous for internet help. Sorry.

Good luck and congrats on the baby!!!

DaniFani 04-04-2014 12:46 AM

This is way to dangerous a situation to be getting advice on the internet...the fact that you went to the internet, let the dog get close enough to "root" the baby, and have "pulled him away...barking.." I can't tell you what I would have done to that dog. Please rehome him if you don't get a trainer immediately. Even if you do get a trainer, rehoming would still be my number 1 suggestion. I would never trust that dog again...just wait until the INFANT (that does not move right now) starts moving. It takes an instant. Have you ever seen a wild dog/wolf/coyote kill a cat or rabbit...it is just a second.

sparra 04-04-2014 12:47 AM

Keep the dog away from your baby and seak help immediately.
I am not sure I could ever trust a dog like this around a little one.

David Winners 04-04-2014 12:56 AM

Keep them 100% separated. Get a trainer, a good one, and be prepared to re home the dog or keep them separated for years. Wild eyed crazy prey behavior could lead to very bad things with an infant.

David Winners

llombardo 04-04-2014 01:35 AM

That is certainly behavior I wouldn't want to see. I don't know if it's aggression as much as prey drive, imagine when the baby starts crawling? Has this dog ever been around kids ? I would also consult a trainer ASAP.

SunCzarina 04-04-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 5321281)
Keep them 100% separated. Get a trainer, a good one, and be prepared to re home the dog or keep them separated for years. Wild eyed crazy prey behavior could lead to very bad things with an infant.

^ this.

what happens when your baby starts crawling? What happens when the baby starts walking? Are you going to be able to keep them separated and what kind of life is that for your dog? Or for you with all that management.

Get a trainer in the house with your dog and your baby or prepare to rehome the dog. There's no quick internet solution to this serious problem.

nktigger99 04-04-2014 12:16 PM

Call a trainer NOW!!! That dog should not be anywhere near the baby.

I honestly would be rehoming the dog....no questions......

LeCielEstRouge 04-04-2014 12:38 PM

Oh gosh, I am by no means an expert but I wouldn't be able to keep a dog like that around my child if it displayed such behavior. I'm sure you love your dog as we all love ours, but the baby is now the priority in this situation. I would keep them separated until you can have a professional come and evaluate, but prepare for the worst. So sorry!