German Shepherds Forum banner

Aggressive behavior with newborn baby

34K views 211 replies 46 participants last post by  brebrehj 
#1 ·
My newborn is close to 2 weeks old. My 1 year old GSD is super sweet and gentle with the baby. My 4 year old GSD goes crazy when in the same room with him. He tries to root the baby with his nose and barks at him. He goes crazy trying to get to the baby. We've tried having me hold the baby while my sister stands by his side just in case. We've tried my sister holding the baby while I stand by his side. The "introductions" end with him being pulled back and having a wild look in his eye that is difficult to read, that I have only seen when he sees a cat.
Has anyone else experienced this or have any info or tips on how to get him to calm down and accept the new family member?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
You really really need to get a professional into your home to evaluate and discover the root of your dogs aggression/insecurity with the baby. You need to do this tomorrow. No waiting.

I don't want to sound harsh, but your babies security is paramount. And someone needs to actually see the interaction to determine the cause and recommend if it can be fixed.

No one on this board is qualified to help you based on a web posting. This situation is possibly too dangerous for internet help. Sorry.

Good luck and congrats on the baby!!!

#4 ·
This is way to dangerous a situation to be getting advice on the internet...the fact that you went to the internet, let the dog get close enough to "root" the baby, and have "pulled him away...barking.." I can't tell you what I would have done to that dog. Please rehome him if you don't get a trainer immediately. Even if you do get a trainer, rehoming would still be my number 1 suggestion. I would never trust that dog again...just wait until the INFANT (that does not move right now) starts moving. It takes an instant. Have you ever seen a wild dog/wolf/coyote kill a cat or rabbit...it is just a second.

#6 ·
Keep them 100% separated. Get a trainer, a good one, and be prepared to re home the dog or keep them separated for years. Wild eyed crazy prey behavior could lead to very bad things with an infant.

David Winners

#8 ·
Keep them 100% separated. Get a trainer, a good one, and be prepared to re home the dog or keep them separated for years. Wild eyed crazy prey behavior could lead to very bad things with an infant.
^ this.

what happens when your baby starts crawling? What happens when the baby starts walking? Are you going to be able to keep them separated and what kind of life is that for your dog? Or for you with all that management.

Get a trainer in the house with your dog and your baby or prepare to rehome the dog. There's no quick internet solution to this serious problem.

#7 ·
That is certainly behavior I wouldn't want to see. I don't know if it's aggression as much as prey drive, imagine when the baby starts crawling? Has this dog ever been around kids ? I would also consult a trainer ASAP.

#10 ·
Oh gosh, I am by no means an expert but I wouldn't be able to keep a dog like that around my child if it displayed such behavior. I'm sure you love your dog as we all love ours, but the baby is now the priority in this situation. I would keep them separated until you can have a professional come and evaluate, but prepare for the worst. So sorry!

#11 · (Edited)
I will contact his trainer. I was just curious if others have gone through this and what they ultimately had to do.
He has only been introduced to the baby the two times. When Thor is in the house I close the door to the hallway where the bedrooms are and the door to baby boys room. When the baby and I are in common areas of the house Thor goes outside.
It's just baffling to me because he has always been so good with my other 2 boys I figured he would be with the baby as well.
Of course my ultimate concern is for the safety of my newborn. I would hate to re home him. But if it comes to that I will to ensure that my little guy is okay. Ideally I would just give him to my ex husband so there would still be a family tie to him, I love Thor so incredibly much but I dunno if I can wait another year while he (the ex) is deployed.
Grrrrrr.

#12 ·
What others have said. If the infant is triggering his prey drive you need to get a trainer in there ASAP. Even if you vow to keep them safely separated accidents happen especially when other kids are involved..if he accidentally gets out and gets to the baby ..horror type stuff.

Is there is any friend with no little kids that can watch him while you schedule a visit from the trainer?

#15 ·
You have two other boys? Was one or both an infant when you had Thor? Babies sound, look, and smell different than other people.

Babies come first. I have to agree, the dog would be outside and I would be working with a professional behaviorist with an excellent reputation, or rehome him.

#17 ·
We adopted Thor for the shelter when my older boys were 2 and 4. They are now 4 and 6 years old. Thor came into and established family, now our family is established and the baby has come into it.

Thors time inside has been less and less. And I think you're right he will just have to stay outside until we can get the situation evaluated and see where to go from there.
It breaks my heart at the prospect of possibly rehoming him but my main priority is that little baby.
I've contacted some GSD rescues in the area to see who they use as far as trainers and behaviorists. Hoping there is some sort of way to make this situation work. He deserves more than being a back yard dog. As long as we've had him he has been and indoor dog

#16 ·
I think most of the members that have responded to this thread of been absolutely correct - the one thing that they haven't pointed out is that you could be locked up for the rest of your life for negligence. I know that you're not in intentionally putting your infant at risk but it's a matter of hey! What are you going to do?

I think you should seriously consider boarding the dog first thing in the morning and getting that dog out of the house - so that your baby has a safe place to live if the door accidentally gets opened by one of your other children - it's going to be heartbreak city.

#18 ·
My 10yr old GSD was incredible with children. But when my son came along and crawled into the dog's space one time, he threatened the child. Not everyone may have approved of my method in that moment but he learned where he stood right quick. After that, they were the best of buds for the next two years until the dog passed of old age.

As so many people mentioned , the crawling thing and an adult dog isn't something to take lightly.

#21 ·
Just out of curiosity...

...what did you do when the dog first barked at the baby?

I believe it's possible that the dog was trying to play with the baby. You say he was "rooting" around the baby. Many dogs try to induce play with other dogs, particularly smaller dogs and puppies when they push their noses into them and prod so as to make them move, run, etc. so they can engage in a chase. Perhaps it's prey behavior.

What tone was the barking? High pitched or vicious? Did he show his teeth and growly or try to take the baby in his mouth? If it was high pitched and if the dog didn't have his ears back and head lowered, again he was trying to play.

But it's misplaced play because the baby is, well, a baby. And, as such the baby could be hurt even with well-intentioned play.

I for one NEVER allow my Zeus around children. Even children with experience with dogs can do things that Zeus finds frightening or that simulate prey behavior. And, let's be honest...kids are dumb as rocks about things like this.

Why, just the other day a young girl who has been badgering me about letting her pet the dog made a quick movement (she threw aside her plastic water bottle) and that scared the dog. Zeus recoiled and then came back at her with a low growl.

Now, back to what did you do when this happened? Sounds like nothing.

Here's what you should have done. You should have immediately charged the dog and knocked him about physically with your body (any part will do) until the dog ran out of the room. I charged Zeus when he growled at the little girl without permission. And, I pulled him up close to me with the leash and choke collar and screamed in his face, "BAD DOG". It was instinctual and instantaneous.

You should have seen how wide his eyes opened and how quickly he retreated.

Above, a Gentleman hinted that he'd do something similar. but all the mamby-pambies on this board have, apparently, intimidated him into not saying.

Anyway, I don't allow any children around my dog, even though many want to play with him. I think big dogs and children, particularly small children and absolutely babies simply don't mix. As many have said above, it's just too dangerous.

But I feel really bad for your dog. He was just playing and trying to induce play in the baby (who couldn't have played with the dog in any way). I would be very reluctant to get rid of the dog as others have suggested. Just develop a plan to keep them completely apart and next time be ready to make the dog pay a stiff price for his foolishness.

LF

#22 ·
...what did you do when the dog first barked at the baby?

I believe it's possible that the dog was trying to play with the baby. You say he was "rooting" around the baby. Many dogs try to induce play with other dogs, particularly smaller dogs and puppies when they push their noses into them and prod so as to make them move, run, etc. so they can engage in a chase. Perhaps it's prey behavior.

What tone was the barking? High pitched or vicious? Did he show his teeth and growly or try to take the baby in his mouth? If it was high pitched and if the dog didn't have his ears back and head lowered, again he was trying to play.

But it's misplaced play because the baby is, well, a baby. And, as such the baby could be hurt even with well-intentioned play.

I for one NEVER allow my Zeus around children. Even children with experience with dogs can do things that Zeus finds frightening or that simulate prey behavior. And, let's be honest...kids are dumb as rocks about things like this.

Why, just the other day a young girl who has been badgering me about letting her pet the dog made a quick movement (she threw aside her plastic water bottle) and that scared the dog. Zeus recoiled and then came back at her with a low growl.

Now, back to what did you do when this happened? Sounds like nothing.

Here's what you should have done. You should have immediately charged the dog and knocked him about physically with your body (any part will do) until the dog ran out of the room. I charged Zeus when he growled at the little girl without permission. And, I pulled him up close to me with the leash and choke collar and screamed in his face, "BAD DOG". It was instinctual and instantaneous.

You should have seen how wide his eyes opened and how quickly he retreated.

Above, a Gentleman hinted that he'd do something similar. but all the mamby-pambies on this board have, apparently, intimidated him into not saying.

Anyway, I don't allow any children around my dog, even though many want to play with him. I think big dogs and children, particularly small children and absolutely babies simply don't mix. As many have said above, it's just too dangerous.

But I feel really bad for your dog. He was just playing and trying to induce play in the baby (who couldn't have played with the dog in any way). I would be very reluctant to get rid of the dog as others have suggested. Just develop a plan to keep them completely apart and next time be ready to make the dog pay a stiff price for his foolishness.

LF
IMHO, this is totally possible but not something that can be assessed over the internet. A trainer is a must in this situation.

David Winners

#23 ·
My initial reaction when I read your post was "rehome the dog", having read everybody's input I still think you should rehome the dog. I say this as a mother and a dog lover. Sad for you I know, but the dynamics in your house have changed and you don't need the worry which you will always now have with this dog, and your dog is likely to be stressed by it too.. I don't envy you..

#24 ·
as to longfishers post
what makes you think tossing the dog about is going to make it safe around a baby?
genuinely curious
the dog may regret having growled at a child or baby but that dont make it safe around that child or baby

your derisive tone really makes no sense
if any dog of mine went after a child (none of mine do) they would be scolded swiftly and surely but i still would not trust them around kids after that
apparently you dont either so it has nothing to do with mamby pamby crap or lack thereof now does it?

Anyway, I don't allow any children around my dog,

i dont have to manhandle or fling my dog about to get him to be good with kids
but sanity should prevail in all cases and small kids should not be left alone with any dog

#26 ·
My newborn is close to 2 weeks old. My 1 year old GSD is super sweet and gentle with the baby. My 4 year old GSD goes crazy when in the same room with him. He tries to root the baby with his nose and barks at him. He goes crazy trying to get to the baby. We've tried having me hold the baby while my sister stands by his side just in case. We've tried my sister holding the baby while I stand by his side. The "introductions" end with him being pulled back and having a wild look in his eye that is difficult to read, that I have only seen when he sees a cat.
Has anyone else experienced this or have any info or tips on how to get him to calm down and accept the new family member?

Have you all overlooked the original post?

#27 ·
What do you suggest?

Here is the way the advice is going:

No contact with the kid until evaluated by a trainer. Be ready to rehome the dog.

#32 ·
As a mom of young kids to suggest that it would be as easy as keeping the dog and child apart is well a joke. Those first few months can be down right exhausting....sometimes walking around with a few hours of sleep night after night. I know when I have had a newborn or two no way could I have been on my A game every second to keep the baby safe with a dog like that. There is zero room for error....I mean babies are on the ground so much...in their bouncy, swing, etc. One mistake could end badly.

#33 ·
As a mom of young kids to suggest that it would be as easy as keeping the dog and child apart is well a joke. Those first few months can be down right exhausting....sometimes walking around with a few hours of sleep night after night. I know when I have had a newborn or two no way could I have been on my A game every second to keep the baby safe with a dog like that. There is zero room for error....I mean babies are on the ground so much...in their bouncy, swing, etc. One mistake could end badly.

Agree 100%.

#35 ·
Well the trainer won't be able to come out here till next week or the week after. In the mean time he will remain outside with the doors locked so my other 2 children can not let him in, at night he will come inside with the door to the hallway (where the bedrooms are) closed with a hook lock so the children again can not let him near the bedrooms.
In the mean time I have been giving him articles of the babies clothing to smell, articles of my clothing which has the smell of my milk on it. He seemed very curious about the scents. I let him inside while my sister was holding the baby, first muzzled with a prong collar on. He rooted and whined for a minute after a while when he was good and calm and showed minimum interest in the baby I took the muzzle off, held on to his leash. He smelled the baby. I wrapped my arms around his chest as if I was hugging him (really incase I needed to quickly pull him back). His ears were back his head was down, he seemed very submissive. He smelled the baby licked his hand (gross) and left him be.
He will still be evaluated. I by no means believe this means everything is okay or safe, just like with my other 2 boys he will not be alone with the baby and will continue to be separated but it gives me hope. His behavior right now could not have been any more ideal. But like I said I understand we are not in the clear but I do have a a little more hope.

#41 · (Edited)
I wrapped my arms around his chest as if I was hugging him (really incase I needed to quickly pull him back). His ears were back his head was down, he seemed very submissive. He smelled the baby licked his hand (gross) and left him be.
This is the scariest and riskiest thing you could have done IMO. You could never prevent an attack in this situation. Holding a dog around his chest, trying to prevent him form attacking if he has that intention, will never work, you will never be strong or fast enough. It happens in a flash of a second.
I don't understand why this dog is still in your home.

#38 · (Edited)
Please stop doing this on your own...we're talking about an infant child here...stop experimenting...you should be teaching the dog to not even look at the child (general neutrality). STOP PUTTING THE DOG NEAR THE CHILD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.