German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Very anxious dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/432913-very-anxious-dog.html)

jbhubb 04-02-2014 10:55 PM

Very anxious dog

I need advise... My 2 year old GSD male is getting very stressed and anxious at night. He sleeps in our bedroom with our other female. He starts panting and pacing and will not settle down. Any advise on how to calm him down?

jbhubb 04-02-2014 10:58 PM

I should also mention vet prescribed prozac bc it has gotten to the point where he will start vomiting. I would rather go with an all natural route if possible

Chip18 04-02-2014 11:02 PM

So there is nothing medically wrong with him?? Just "anxious" at night only??

jbhubb 04-02-2014 11:07 PM

Correct. Check up was perfect... this has only been going on for two weeks with no change in routine or diet. Very active dog.

Twyla 04-02-2014 11:13 PM

Have you tried bedding him down in another location? Was he able to settle?

Both dogs altered? Is the female about to come in season?

Has something happened at night? Loud noises? A disagreement?

Prozac usually isn't given without behavior modification training as well, have you talked with a trainer?

GatorBytes 04-02-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbhubb (Post 5314705)
I should also mention vet prescribed prozac bc it has gotten to the point where he will start vomiting. I would rather go with an all natural route if possible

Melatonin. Used for anxiety disorders. May or may not have relatively immediate results...dose about an hr. before bed.

Ashwagandha is a calming herb, useful for the adrenals (produce stress hormones), thyroid and may have anti-cancer properties. It has been likened to being as good as Xanax for anxiety...however this could take 5+ days to start working...better then scripted Prozac (sigh:rolleyes:) at a few weeks with no additional benefits to it.

Lavender essential oil, either diffused or made into a spritz (20 drops in spray bottle of water - shaking often to mix) and applying to bedding/sleeping area.

jbhubb 04-02-2014 11:16 PM

Both dogs are altered. Left bedroom door open so he could go lay on couch which he will do sometimes but will still pace all night. I have to medicate him for thunderstorms.... we had one last thursday but this started before then. Just feel bad for my guy.

jbhubb 04-02-2014 11:22 PM

Thank you so much! Will be trying these!

Chip18 04-02-2014 11:27 PM

Maybe this and the Herbs is better than drugs? No experiance just putting it out there..although I have seen it once or twice on Cesar's shows.

Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

jbhubb 04-02-2014 11:31 PM

Chip18 thank you! Much rather try all of this before using the drugs. Try to keep my babies on a all natural diet.