Vicious attack while on leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vicious attack while on leash

I have several long stories, but i'll try to make them short and get to the point.

i've only had Wako for 2 weeks, and he's such a great dog. He's got a few small issues that we are working on, and he gets better and better every day.

The first time I took him for a walk through the ON LEASH forrest next to our house, he was ambushed by a Golden. It ran right up to us out of nowhere and got in his face. He snarled and snapped at the loose dog, and it took off.

A few days later, same thing happened with 3 offleash poodles that rushed at him. He gorwled when they tried to dominate him. They took off and thier owner warned me to "Muzzle my beast".

Yesterday's event scared the daylights out of me.

I now have to stop taking my dog for walks through the ON LEASH forrest next to our house.

He was vicously attacked yesterday by some type of bulldog cross. She came rushing at us from behind, and bit Wako's hind leg. He turned and snapped and snarled at her. She released and took off.
Owner NO WHERE in sight.

I hightailed it out of there. Two minutes later she was back, but this time she latched onto his scruff around his neck, and dind't let go until I landed a good kick to her side. And now my dog is no long just deffending himself, he's mad and he's gone into attack mode, something I've never seen before.

It was all I could do to hold on to him and keep him from ripping that dog apart.

Finally her owner showed up and leahsed her, said sorry and rushed off. I asked her for her name and info, but she just ignored me. I ended up calling the City Bylaw office, and put in a formal complaint. They said that they'd send a few people out to partol the area, since this has happened several times.

I feel like he's now conditioning himself to be extra allert and overly defensive towards other dogs, especially while on leash. His previous owner (a friend of ours) used to take him to the dog park all the time and he gets along well with other dogs.

I just can't help but feel like I'm making him be this way. Now, whenever he sees a dog, he goes into full allert, and won't listen to a word I say. I try to put myself inbetween him and his line of sight of new dogs, but this is useless. I can't can't even bribe him with treats, it's like I don't exist.

Help!
PoukieBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

BTW,

My dog has never been off leash with me, as I don't trust his recall to me yet. He has ALWAYS been on a leash.

And he wasn't hurt in yesterday's fight. The bulldog made off with a chunck of Wako's fur in her mouth, but that's it. No puncture wounds or blood, thank god. It's a good thing he has lots of extra scruff around his neck!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How about stop walking your dog where it will be attacked? Or grow a pair and defend it at the very least. Get between the dogs and dont let it get to your dog.

Last edited by Baillif; 04-01-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
DWP

Default Sorry to hear that

We walk our girls and have stray dogs in our area. Don't know what to tell you regarding your dogs mental alertness and such, but as for prepping yourself, I bought a collapsable baton and pepper spray. A walking stick hill help you keep other dogs at bay as well. It is a shame we have to prepare for these things, but you may want to start. Good luck!

Philip Perkins
DWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Poukie Bear. regarding the first answer you received:

My apologies. That unkind and unhelpful response is not typical of this board. I am by no means a dog expert but we have people on here who can help make certain your fellow doesn't get overreactive....primarily by having him play/interact with dogs who won't try to fight with him and by not getting fearful and defensive yourself.

Again, I'm sorry for the appalling answer you received; it was a rude, embarrassing and intentionally unkind response.

Jelpy
Jelpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get yourself a can of pepperspray (or bear spray) and a good stick to walk with. This will give you confidence so Wako doesn't feel your stress that he's going to get charged again.

If you jam a stick between a dogs back teeth, they can't clench down to tear up another dog.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
How about stop walking your dog where it will be attacked? Or grow a pair and defend it at the very least. Get between the dogs and dont let it get to your dog.
I live in the city, and dogs are everywhere, I can't avoid them, no matter where I walk my dog.

Of course stopping the attacking dog is my first line of defence, but when they come charging out of nowhere it's almost impossible to get inbetween them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelpy View Post
Poukie Bear. regarding the first answer you received:

My apologies. That unkind and unhelpful response is not typical of this board. I am by no means a dog expert but we have people on here who can help make certain your fellow doesn't get overreactive....primarily by having him play/interact with dogs who won't try to fight with him and by not getting fearful and defensive yourself.

Again, I'm sorry for the appalling answer you received; it was a rude, embarrassing and intentionally unkind response.

Jelpy
Thank you

I usually go walking armed with a bottle of vinigar and water to squirt at oncoming dogs, and an airhorn to blast to scare away other dogs. But yesterdays evens happend so fast the only reaction i could to was to kick the other dog.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Really I have to agree with Bailiff to a certain extent - in quit walking your dog in areas where he attracks these dogs. Whole Dog Journal has a number of articles about working dogs under threshold for these situations. Of course that means you can't expose yourself to places where you encounter loose dogs because they don't understand to stay away. (out of the threshold). This is where I would think you will need to go for right now (work underthreshold) to build your dog's confidence.

A request to other members of the board - can we please keep chastisments to PMs rather than sidetracking a thread?
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Change where you are walking your dog.

Get involved in ob classes. Will help you and your new dog develop a bond. Will help your confidence in handling your dog, and will help your dog learn to trust you.

Let the trainer know you have already had several bad experiences with your dog and that you are concerned about leash aggression.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unhelpful? If you keep getting attacked on walks especially by the same dog thats a really big red flag you just keep putting the dog in a bad situation. I dont have any sympathy for people who do things like that.

Reminds me of that episode of the dog whisperer when some lady kept walking her beagle on the same route despite the fact it kept being attacked by the same white shepherd. Change her route? Nope not even after 3 attacks!

Last i checked dogs arent ambush predators.

Last edited by Baillif; 04-01-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.