New Dog, Very Challenging - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Dog, Very Challenging

Today I drove four hours to Indiana to adopt a 7 month old female German Shepherd from a county humane society. I just got home a few hours ago.

The story with Kali is that she was purchased as a puppy by a family with small children. The mom couldn't handle her, and the father worked all the time. She has obviously had no training at all. She jumps up on people, and I can imagine her knocking kids down. Kali is very happy to meet women, but not so much men. I was putting her outside just now when she didn't want to go, and I think she bared her teeth at me just a little as I pushed her out the door. When I reached to grab her collar, she shrunk back as though I was going to hit her. I suspect that the dad in her family must have hit her for reasons she did not understand, probably discipline delivered hours later after whatever she was supposedly being punished for.

So I am starting not just from scratch, but in the hole quite a bit. She has every bad habit there is. I want Kali to be aggressive, just not against me, so I want to correct her, but just not too much. It is a fine line, and not very easy to accomplish. I am going to start with a pocket full of treats to get her to understand the idea of accepting commands, or at least coming to me when called. No one has done that for her before. She is very smart; she started whining when I picked up a leash and attached it to my male's collar while she was crated. She knew the leash meant leaving; she whined the instant I touched it.

I think I have a great dog here. She is purebred and eligible for AKC registration. I suspect she has a European pedigree. It is a crime against all that is right and holy that a dog this fine could be at a county pound, which is why I drove four hours to get her.

I want to do everything right, and I will be reading a lot on this site in the next few days. But for the love of shepherds, please help me! I feel like I am in over my head. All suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Clancy_Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Build up her confidence, get her into a class so you can build your bond, but first you should do a two week shutdown and start practicing NILIF to set her up for success.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You do not want her to be aggressive. You might want her to be protective but that is a natural instinct. You don't ever want to correct growling though. Just remember that this is all super new to her and she is trying to protect herself. She has to learn to trust you.

She is scared right now so you need to minimize stress. If you want her to go outside toss a handful of treats or yummy food (cheese or chicken) out there and let her run out there after them. Do the same to get her into the house.

As onyx'girl said, she needs tons of structure right now. Reward her for everything she does that is what you want, even if it's the tiniest thing. Avoid petting her on the head, or grabbing her collar. You may even need to avoid looking at her initially. Treat like a pup, keep things positive, simple and structured. And make sure she gets lots of leashed walks so she can burn off some of that anxiety. IF she is afraid of you, you should be the one walking her.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't even let her out without a leash yet. You don't know if she is a runner or jumper or if she would come back in any of these cases.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I wouldn't even let her out without a leash yet. You don't know if she is a runner or jumper or if she would come back in any of these cases.
I agree, and I'd use a martingale collar so she can't slip out of it.
Agree with Ruth too, aggression is something you don't need to tap into. Especially when it is fear based.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Reminds me of my girl! Maybe there is a trainer or behaviorist who can help you one on one :-) She is gorgeous.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd use a short lead around the house (cheap one from $ store with loop cut so it's just flat & straight) so you will not be "grabbing the collar". I would not "push" the dog anywhere but rather lure/bring/take her out side.
If she's responsive to food, I would call her to me with food to pick up the lead (see cheap short lead note). I'd be using a lot of lures and rewards right now.

So congratulations on your "Challenge" -- Maybe that should be her name?
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Petty much just gonna expand on what's been said first this:

No training during this time you want to develop a bond with your dog. A getting to know your dog period his has been proven to develope fewer handler/dog "issues" with K9 teams, I did not do that with my rescue GSD, I had "problems" but it all worked out in the long run.
I just got a rescued dog – what do I do? | stickydogblog

I had "people "aggression issues you seem to have "fear" issues. Both take time and patience. Both need the same solution your dog needs to look to you for guidance. Your dog should not pick and chose who's a problem that's your job and you need to show him, he can trust you and what normal interactions look like.

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

Very similar to this:
Five Golden Rules for Working with Fearful Dogs by Nicole Wilde | Fearfuldogs' Blog

Finally don't screw up your hard work by having a bad encounter, a dog fight at a Dog Park or bad encounter with "I thought my dog was friendly folks" will show your dog that "you" can't protect him!
Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea

"My" personal belief is that in addition to the obvious possibility of a fight, if your dog runs around out of control with a pack of dogs he learns you don't matter!

I'm sure once you put a lot of time and training into your dog that is most likely not the case but if you put a lot of time in training into your dog why take the risk?
Are Dog Parks a Good Idea for Service Dogs? | Working Like Dogs
And:
Three Dogs Who Shouldn’t Be at the Dog Park or Daycare | Robin Bennett

To start leash work:

My guys were all taught to ignore other dogs and I never put them in a position to be attacked or struck
by another dog. I never had leash reactive dogs but if you do:

Good luck and have fun with your dog.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Patience and structure, she's very young and you can help get her over her past life!

I took in a girl from a very similar situation. She was a lot of work getting her through her fears but she grew up to be wonderful. Although she never did get over her distrust of men...

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Just want to add one thing to all the great advice you got here. In relation to the collar grab reaction, use lots of treats so she is conditioned to the collar grab as something positive.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.