German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Evening behaviour (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/431105-evening-behaviour.html)

MrsR 03-29-2014 04:51 PM

Evening behaviour

Hi all. I have a 13 month old white GSD called Casper. Hes started behaving very strangely in the evenings but only toward my husband.
He will try to avoid Mr R and will flatten his ears and sulk away as if nervous or been told off, and will pee on the floor. He acts normally around me and will come if I call him but will leave and act as above if husband is there, and will not come if Mr R calls him. We cant understand as this as happened very suddenly. We've had him three months and this has only been happening for a. few days. Any help would be greatfully recieved. Thank you.

Twyla 03-29-2014 05:18 PM

Having him only 3 months, you may just now be seeing his real temperament, be aware of that.

Is Casper a rescue or did you get him from a breeder? Do you know any of his history?

With this happening in the evening, was this inside or outside? Was Mr. R wearing a coat and/or a hat? If evening and outside, the lighting is different and if Mr R was wearing a coat, his silhouette would be different. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?

MrsR 03-29-2014 05:24 PM

We got him from another family who couldn't cope with him as they were expecting another baby and he took too much time and attention.

Mr R was wearing just a tshirt and jeans, he was fine with him outside just tends to be when were sat on the sofa in the evenings.

David Taggart 03-29-2014 06:42 PM

Dogs have a long memory, I had a dog previously who was scared and behaved agressively towards any person who reminded her our vet. I believe, in the evenings, when two people were sitting together, that was a usual situation when your dog was punished for some behaviour by the husband of the house. But, any dog's attitudes are very personal, your dog wouldn't have been scared of your husband only because he's a male, it was something which triggered his reaction.
Your dog's acute sense of smell could've detected something familiar, what he didn't detect in 3 months. A smell that reminds him a threat - that is what I put first on the list of possible diagnosis. It could be:
1. New perfume your husband wears;
2. Drink he didn't have since your dog appeared;
3. Food he ate last time,
I'd suggest you to use aromatherapy for dogs, say, a pine essential oil, it wouldn't be difficult (in fact it is pleasant and healthy) for your husband to rub some around his wrists, armpits and his neck after evening shower. He should try to smell nicely for his dog. Speak to him in a low voice (lower than his usual), whistle some melody before giving a treat (dogs like whistling), rough neck scratching is better than gentle head petting, share cheese slices (eat it yourself and train your dog to catch it), sit on the floor in front of TV in order to bring himself to the level of the dog, walk together in the evenings, ask your husband to interact with your dog in some play. - so to show him that your husband is not in any way can behave like that man.

MrsR 03-30-2014 06:14 AM

We have no idea whats setting him off but I thibk we'll have a proper look into it. Thank you for your help, we will definitely try them and see how he goes. He absolutely adores Mr R normally (and Mr R adores him), and its upsetting to see him being off with him.

Stosh 03-30-2014 08:50 AM

You might look at the articles and videos on leerburg.com. A lot of good information about bringing a new dog into the home. There are detailed descriptions on how to desensitize the dog, establish a new routine and build a good relationship

MrsR 03-30-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stosh (Post 5294913)
You might look at the articles and videos on leerburg.com. A lot of good information about bringing a new dog into the home. There are detailed descriptions on how to desensitize the dog, establish a new routine and build a good relationship

Great! Thank you.

Jakesworld 03-30-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twyla (Post 5292129)
Having him only 3 months, you may just now be seeing his real temperament, be aware of that.

Is Casper a rescue or did you get him from a breeder? Do you know any of his history?

With this happening in the evening, was this inside or outside? Was Mr. R wearing a coat and/or a hat? If evening and outside, the lighting is different and if Mr R was wearing a coat, his silhouette would be different. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?

So my very first dog ever was a border collie that just appeared in our neighborhood. We found her family, returned her. She ran away and came back to us, 3 times. Finally the family said we could have her, because she kept running away and came back to us. This was from miles away. Anyway, she was a very good dog. Here's why the long winded introduction to my border collie... She was great all the time, except around certain kids. These kids weren't doing anything or teasing her, but she would lay her ears back and then lunge at them. Trying to bite them, always high, like their face. But after observing her, I noticed that before she would attack these particular kids, her facial expression changed, her eyes had a "far away" stare. I came to the conclusion that she was remembering something from her past, abuse maybe. She did run away 3 times that I know of from her previous home. Never from our home. I never really corrected her, I was just a kid mysef, maybe 7. Didn't want my parents to know either for fear they'd punish her (this was in the 60's, it wasn't about lawsuits back then, and kids didn't run to mommy about almost getting bit by the neighbor dog). But I learned to recognize "the stare" and distracted her before she acted on it. There was plenty of warning, she would study the faces. So what I'm saying after all that is simply , dogs remember . Maybe sometimes Mr R reminds her of someone or something unpleasant from her past. When they are getting along, take a mental picture of what he's wearing, where they are, what he's doing, what he smells like. Compare that to when she's acting peculiar . I had a gsd that came unglued around people that smelled like weed. It could be something that simple. Has Mr R been doing a lot of corrections? Maybe too harsh? Hope u you figure it out soon. Good luck.

Jakesworld 03-30-2014 12:39 PM

Sorry I kept calling Casper "her".

MrsR 03-30-2014 01:49 PM

Thank you.
It only ever seems to be after around 8 at night. Mr R is stricter with him than I am, but I wouldn't say he was too harsh, just tells him no when he's doing something he shouldn't be. But when Caspers is in one of his funny moods, Mr R only needs to look at him and he'll pee, almost like a submissive pee, he won't let him even stroke him. There must be something in his past that's only been 'picked up on' by him now, it could be the shampoo or something Mr R uses, but looking for a warning sign would be massively helpful in itself.