German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Light OBSESSION! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/429786-light-obsession.html)

GSDforme 03-26-2014 06:42 PM

Light OBSESSION!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone!

I've been a member for a while, first time post except for my girls photo album! I apologize if this has been asked before but never really seen the answer I want. Zoe has loved lights. It started last July when I used a flashlight and she tried to chase it. Not thinking about it, I did the bad thing and let her chase it! Then I got her a laser (I know another bad idea please don't beat me up over it) and she loved that too. Fun and games aside, now she likes to find anything. Reflection from water bowl/cellphone/dog tags. She can still focus fine on other things, just concerning how much she looks for it. I've stopped all the playing for a while, and it's a little better. Do you guys have any ideas to help correct my mistake completely?? I know GSD can be very OCD prone, and I don't want to a cause anymore trouble. Thanks for help!

Attachment 194546

Stosh 03-26-2014 06:51 PM

DO NOT play with lights, lasers, anything like that. Stop completely. Redirect her when she focuses on lights or reflections. She may require medication if her OCD worsens and is uncontrollable. There was a study done recently about this kind of behavior that several members participated in

TigervTeMar 03-26-2014 06:58 PM

the good thing is that you stopped. the more time and 'normal' behavior you put between her and the lasers the better. good smelling and tasting food for redirection! but make sure it isn't: chases reflection, gets treat. it should be she starts chasing reflection, use food to get her attention, simple tricks or short walk, gets treat.

GSDforme 03-26-2014 07:14 PM

Yes she is definitely getting better. It's not so bad she would need medications, and is otherwise very well behaved and very well trained. She has been socialized since she was 3 months with all types of dogs, children, scenes and people! I will work on positive reinforcement when she doesn't focus on lights. Thanks for the input!

onyx'girl 03-26-2014 08:24 PM

I'd contact Tufts and see if you can help in their research(and they can give you instruction to help our dog): Tufts Animal Behavior Research Studies : Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine

SunCzarina 03-26-2014 09:42 PM

My children thought it was cute when Otto was a puppy to get him to chase the flashlight beam. No more flashlights - pretty much from 10 weeks. Then he got older and discovered the sun spot off the screen door onto the patio. OBSESSED with that spot.

He had it all figured out too, that it was only there in the afternoon and it only happened when someone opened the door. I would redirect or correct or sometimes the door would hit him in the head. None of that worked once he started opening the door on his own when he was outside.

Took him about 2 years to rip the door apart and mangle the frame so badly I had to have the entire door casing rebuilt. Had to re-arrange the door so it opened to the north instead of the south (which was causing the sunspot.)

Cost me over 1 K to fix that door from OTto's sunspot obsession but the spot doesn't move on the patio anymore. It's been a year and a half. He still looks for it when the door opens...

GSDforme 03-26-2014 09:47 PM

She has it figured out as well! I don't think it'll ever go away. She chewed up my iphone once when I was sleeping, cause she likes the camera flash!! Guess we will just be spending even more time with our agility to redirect as much energy as possible towards productive not destructive!!

SunCzarina 03-26-2014 10:13 PM

:rofl: you must have some hilarious selfies she's taken playing with the phone.

GSDforme 03-26-2014 10:33 PM

Unfortunately no I don't :(

SunCzarina 03-26-2014 10:42 PM

give her time!