6 mo. Needs to Learn How to Greet Other Dogs While on Leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6 mo. Needs to Learn How to Greet Other Dogs While on Leash

My 6mo little pup is very social in our neighborhood - goes to the dog park every weekend where she has a wonderful time socializing with the other pups.

Now, when I take her on a walk and she sees one of her friends - she goes crazy. The hackles are up, she barks at the top of her treble clef, she jumps around like a banshie. I try to get her to sit, but it is near impossible - she loses all ability to focus on anything, but the dog she wants to greet. She appears to be a crazy german shepherd that has lost her mind, but she really wants to rush over and say hello. I would love for her to say hello and get a few sniffs in with her friend, but I don't want to reward this bad behavior. I try to stand in front of her and get her to sit, but even if I do - she then jumps and pulls on her leash to go see her friend. I had a small success yesterday when I started to walk away from her friend, then she calmed down and we went to see the friend (though she was pulling on the leash on the way to the friend).

Any suggestions on how to stop this behaviour would be very welcomed

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AnneMargar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd enroll in a group training class, so she'd learn some OB with distractions. Also, every time you allow her to pull you towards her friends, it's going to be that much harder to break this bad habit. Better to get this under control now Good luck!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Personally I don't let them meet other dogs while they are on leash,friends or not. They actually have to learn to ignore them and earn their free playtime by sitting and waiting for the release command. So that probably takes some distance to work at that.
Here's what you can do: increase the distance, turn away and reward her with treats when she is able to focus on you. If she isn't, you are too close to the other dog. Group classes will help you like Blanketback said already. Take tug toys with you so you don't always have to feed her when she sees dogs. Teach her "Leave It!"
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for the great feedback. We were taking some basic training classes at Petco, but we were the only ones in the class so we did not learn with distractions. Do either of you have recommendations for where to find a good group training program?

AnneMargar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe google your area? I know from my own experience that taking my pup to the dog park made him even more excitable around other dogs. I never let him in until he was calm (could take a while, lol) and I walked the outer perimeter to teach him better self control too.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMargar View Post
Thank you both for the great feedback. We were taking some basic training classes at Petco, but we were the only ones in the class so we did not learn with distractions. Do either of you have recommendations for where to find a good group training program?

Petco in itself is a huge distraction, smells, sounds etc. so if you are the only one in class it will be a good start in making your puppy succeed. Maybe ask the trainer to introduce her own dog as a distraction when your pup is doing well. Of course, hoping that her dog is well trained. The Petco trainer's dog in our area lunges and barks at other dogs (yes, a young GSD!). I am amazed why not one of her clients seem to have a problem with that.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Maybe google your area? I know from my own experience that taking my pup to the dog park made him even more excitable around other dogs. I never let him in until he was calm (could take a while, lol) and I walked the outer perimeter to teach him better self control too.
Very true. We also took a step back from the dog park and stopped meeting new dogs until he got a little older and calmer. Now at 14 months we are able to go on walks with other dogs without him trying to get to them and acting like a nut. Just last Saturday we went on a walk with 15 dogs. 4 of them new dogs. He was well behaved, so it is possible. Just don't give up. they just need to outgrow some of their goofy puppy stages. You are not alone.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.