German Shepherds Forum banner

VERY High Energy Dog(Non GSD)

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 ·
Well I have Batman back in my care, my dad could not handle him. I'm hoping to get him some training and manners so my dad will take him back. Nothing gets this dog tired. He weighs 46 pounds and eats like a pig. He is a greyhound/husky and boy can he run and jump. He is all over the place. I gave him a knuckle bone with the hopes that mentally does the trick . Long brisk walks don't work for him at all, it makes him more energized. I'm getting him into very basic obedience because he knows nothing at just over a year. Any ideas on how to tire him out? I need to think out of the box for this one:(

#9 ·

Attachments

#11 ·
Lots of options. :] Running alongside a bike (bike attachment), jogging, treadmill would have been a good one, dog sports, swimming, hiking, mental and focus exercises, mental exercise games, toys, and dispensers, backpack, outdoor games (retrieving, finding hidden items, chuck it, frisbee, or flirt pole) etc, etc

#12 ·
While I was studying wolves up North they also had a husky / sled expedition operation nearby. In the summer when they did not pull sleds, the staff attached the dogs to bikes and they all went before and after shifts with the dogs.

So, my suggestion would be to hook the dog up to a bike and go for an hour or two. I also recommend finding a fenced area and playing two ball, frisbee, etc.

Love those high energy dogs... require so much more work than the average dog. :p

#21 ·
Set up a lure course for him.

You said he has grey hound in him right?

Between grey hound and husky I bet he has a good prey drive.

Heres a link to place that makes them. Haven't bought their equipment, no affiliation, yadda. Looks like other vendors out there, just need a little room to run.

Our Products

#23 ·
This looks fun. I have a half acre so I have probably enough room to run it in a straight shot.

#22 ·
How was your dad running him on the treadmill? I know for Delgado if he's going at a moderate pace he could run for hours and it wouldn't even wind him, I warm him up and then run him at a good pace until he starts to droop a bit and then run him even harder for another few minutes before giving him a good cool down. The treadmill is the only thing I've seen come close to getting his energy out, he's got a great off switch but he rarely gets actually tired from exercise both mental and physical.

Fetch, flirt pole, obedience walks - when I'm watching TV Delgado will bring me a toy and we'll play catch while I'm sitting, it works his mind and keeps him happy and requires very little effort from me when I need a break.

The other thing to remember if he probably has energy stored up, once you consistently start draining it each day you should hopefully see a good improvement.

#24 ·
Before I can get him into agility(which I think he will be great in) I have to get him at least some obedience training. The only thing he knows his his name and he comes when called, which is a start. I've contacted an all breed training club to see what their schedule is because I can't fit anything else in at the GSD club. To many dogs and they don't offer enough stuff:( I thought I had it all figured out...agility on Monday, rally on Wednesday, and two obedience classes on Sunday. Thanks Dad for throwing this one at me:D

#26 ·
I would like to piggy back on Jean's post and ask what the rescue's policy is on returns. Was there a contract? And if so, did it mention anything about what the adopter needed to do if the match wasn't a good one?

I would hate for you, OP, to get in trouble for doing what you thought was right, only to find out you didn't follow the rescue/shelters procedure for returns.

Since this wasn't a dog you wanted for yourself, but rather a foster dog, will you relist him with the originating rescue? Do they have any training resources you could use to work with him and make him more adoptable while you have him?
Sheilah

#27 ·
They know he needed training and it was my dad that adopted him. They also know that I was taking him back if this happened, they were fine with that because they know he is in good hands. They are way overloaded to:( My dad loves the dog and once he gets some training and calms down some my dad is taking him back. My dad has no patience whatsoever. My dad is paying for his training to. He has shown some signs of improvement once I got him the plastic kennel. He laid down next to me for a bit last night. My worst fear is that Brennan will backslide, but he does his own thing and doesn't follow Batman, a huge plus

#28 ·
Well today it's much better. I decided not to care about the mud and let Batman, Robyn, and Brennan run until they asked to come in. They ran outside and played for about three hours. They came in covered in mud but happy and now they are all passed out. I guess I will just have to clean more until it's not muddy anymore. Once I get the dog door the area will be covered so they can come and go as they please and that is going to be great for them. Brennan starts a class today and I'm talking to the teacher. I can't find a husky group but I'm going to look for maybe a greyhound group. The only command Batman knows is the recall and he does well with it. He is quick to come when his name is called. I worked on that heavily before he went to my dads. He is not interested in kongs or anything in his crate to keep busy. He does have the thunder shirt and a calming collar on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.