German Shepherds Forum banner

Is My Dog challenged?

5K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  germanshepherd15 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a white german shepherd named Ghost. I used to own his mother before my parents found her another home. (Against my will)
This was due to her constantly jumping the fence and trying to get inside the house. Ghost was the only pup of the litter, which was odd. However, he was healthy and huge. He did mature very quickly though. Started eating solid food at three weeks. He also seemed pretty intelligent and alert. He would bark and stand gaurd, and showed al lot of promise.
As he grew older I trained him. And after he got around six months, well, he got dumb. He licks everything he sees. Once he even licked a fire pit while it was lit. Then ran to his water because that clearly hurt. He also stares blankly for several minutes even if I try to get his attention. He cannot seem to understand the command "lay" no matter how hard I try to train him. He knows: sit, stay, give me paw, no, here boy, and his own name.
But somehow lay is too challenging for him?
Also, he is good on a leesh. He never leads, however he does constantly switch sides back and forth behind me.
Hmm.. what else. Oh! He does this weird hump thing. Where he arches his back and shakes while humping. I am worried he has a medical issue. I hope it's just excitement. Anyway, I'm worried he is mentally retarded.

See less See more
#3 ·
This started about 6 mths? Beginning of butt head stage - up your training. If you aren't with a trainer now, locate a good one. You have a lot of his basics, but that extra set of eyes can see what you and the pup are doing and get you headed in the right direction. Keep in mind for some dogs, the down position is a tough one as it can be seen as a vulnerable position.

The staring and licking may be from boredom and/or the beginning of OCD behavior. Up his exercise and again his training.

Your pup isn't mentally retarded as you put it, but he does need a good vet check that includes a discussion of the 2 behaviors of staring and licking. Then a good training program with a trainer making him work his brain and body.

#4 ·
I have a dog that acts a lot like that, she's not dumb though she's just a bit stubborn. She took a long time to learn down, and she licks everything, stares a lot, I think it's a personality thing. She does have neurological problems (epilepsy) but I don't think that has anything to do with why she acts that way I agree with the person before me. Puppies are brats!

#6 ·
It's his age so I agree with everyone else, get into a training group. If you're in HS and still with your parents, look for a local 4H group, those are usually inexpensive.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't think he sounds retarded. since he knows so many tricks it may be that 'lay' just doesn't make any sense to him. licking may be a sign of boredom, or since dogs explore a lot through their mouths he likes the texture. who knows. he may stare at you when you talk to him but at least he doesn't stare in bewilderment at the walls or the couch, that would be retarded for sure. the fire thing may have been unwise but unless he did it repeatedly I think he showed some basic intelligence by only doing it once. learning through experiences and whatnot. my dog too changes sides repeatedly while walking. I never understood why 'heel' was such a good trick to teach until I got him. in summary, I don't think he's retarded. it sounds like he has his own personality

#13 · (Edited)
Can we please stop using this very offensive term????

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
It is actually and ordinary term, not slang, used correctly, and not being used to belittle or attack any individual. I don't understand why people are so offended by it, and how using other terms to identify people with various mental challenges, that might not fit the current situation as well, would be any less offensive if someone wants to be offended today.

#14 · (Edited)
I think the licking everything is probably part boredom and part clueless exploring. The refusal to do a lay is probably stubbornness to lay down or the similarity in lay/stay. Switching sides back and forth is a common walking issue with pups/dogs. Humping thing probably nothing out of the ordinary list of hump issues. Pretty typical nothing wrong with him. Just needs some more training, exercise, and healthy activities.

#15 ·
Lay or Down is more difficult, especially with distractions for dogs. That does not mean your dog's growth or aptitude is stunted. It may indicate a dog with more independence, who is less apt to conform to what you want.

The down position is a position where the dog is more vulnerable and has to accept. If there are other dogs around, the dog may feel he is being put lower than the other dogs, or he may be concerned with being attacked.

A training tool that some people employ is to build up a down stay to 30 minutes, and use it regularly, like when they are eating, or exercising. There is nothing wrong with teaching a long down, but I would go slowly with it.

I am more concerned with the staring into space and not snapping out of it when you call the dog. Is he fixated on something, a person or dog, or is he having a lapse. I know people can have tiny epileptic siezures where they blank for moments. Teachers can see it sometimes. It is quick but it is still an issue. I do not know that that is what is going on with your dog though. Could he be listening for something. When you take the dog to the vet, I would ask about that, and mark how frequent and how long this lasts.

#16 ·
I am more concerned with the staring into space and not snapping out of it when you call the dog. Is he fixated on something, a person or dog, or is he having a lapse. I know people can have tiny epileptic siezures where they blank for moments. Teachers can see it sometimes. It is quick but it is still an issue. I do not know that that is what is going on with your dog though. Could he be listening for something. When you take the dog to the vet, I would ask about that, and mark how frequent and how long this lasts.
That is interesting, because I mentioned in my other post on this thread I have an epileptic dog who does this. I didn't think it had anything to do with it but what you said makes sense.

#17 ·
Definitely what selzer said. Some of the "lay" and walking troubles just sound like training issues to me, and my shepherd actually tried to lick a burning candle just because he's a goof. But the freeze and stare off into space worries me. My last shepherd had epilepsy and he had petit mal seizures where he would suddenly freeze and stare off into space or his eyes would roll up. Not sure why but after his seizure developed, he had some weird behaviors like pawing new surfaces, leaning against walls, and excessive drooling. It's not likely, but definitely something I would bring up and have the vet check out.

#18 ·
I don't see how "mentally retarded" is offensive. It is being used in proper context. Maybe I should have said "mentally impaired"?
Anyway, yeah Ghost does sometimes stare at objects. And his personality changed a lot. When he was a baby he was brave and curious. Now he's one year old and quite cowardly. Don't get my wrong, I love my dog. He just seems off. I guess I'm so used to my Aussie Shepherd (who died a couple years ago due to old age). That dog was insanely intelligent to the point it was scary! She could answer simple yes or no questions. And she was easy to train and always wanted to please.

Ghost just seems less intelligent than her. He does have some behavior issues I have been trying to correct. Like he attacks and barks a other dogs. He didn't use to until he had a bad experience at the dog park. Another puppy his age was too rough with him when playing and he got real upset. He has never gotten along with other dogs since. Well, except for the rottweiler my parents own. That is another issue. Otis (the rottweiler) used to bully Ghost a lot. Not so much anymore, but sometimes ge still treats Ghost like ****.
I want to train him more, but I am always either working or at college. I only can spend two days out of the week training him.

#19 ·
The personality change is pretty typical, especially if he had bad experiences with other dogs. It's too bad you don't have more time to spend with him. He's probably bored and lonely. My dog does the licking thing (not a firepit though! Wow!) with metal objects and feet. He sounds more like he has nervous problems rather than being mentally impaired.

On a more light-hearted note: Hyperbole and a Half: Dog

#20 ·
yeah I have similar issue with my baby (now a year old), but he was born prematurely and was deprived of oxygen as well - the vet said he would have definite brain damage, we just did not know to what extent

he took longer to gain his eyesight, he actually learned how to walk up and down stairs blind, but now sees just fine...his growth was stunted (definite "runt" of the litter), and whereas he is very intelligent because that is the breed, he doesn't recognize verbal commands right away...he's just slow...

we took extra time training him, and still continue work at it...but there are some things he just doesn't seem to comprehend...mental retardation is possible, but just work with your baby in a way that works for your household, no two dogs are the same, and even if there is a limitation to his brain abilities, you'll find a way to work with it and find your's and his "normal"

but, that's just my take on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.