German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Is My Dog challenged? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/427898-my-dog-challenged.html)

Ignis 03-22-2014 07:24 AM

Is My Dog challenged?

I have a white german shepherd named Ghost. I used to own his mother before my parents found her another home. (Against my will)
This was due to her constantly jumping the fence and trying to get inside the house. Ghost was the only pup of the litter, which was odd. However, he was healthy and huge. He did mature very quickly though. Started eating solid food at three weeks. He also seemed pretty intelligent and alert. He would bark and stand gaurd, and showed al lot of promise.
As he grew older I trained him. And after he got around six months, well, he got dumb. He licks everything he sees. Once he even licked a fire pit while it was lit. Then ran to his water because that clearly hurt. He also stares blankly for several minutes even if I try to get his attention. He cannot seem to understand the command "lay" no matter how hard I try to train him. He knows: sit, stay, give me paw, no, here boy, and his own name.
But somehow lay is too challenging for him?
Also, he is good on a leesh. He never leads, however he does constantly switch sides back and forth behind me.
Hmm.. what else. Oh! He does this weird hump thing. Where he arches his back and shakes while humping. I am worried he has a medical issue. I hope it's just excitement. Anyway, I'm worried he is mentally retarded.

Baillif 03-22-2014 08:06 AM

The lay thing and the switching back and forth behind you are likely training issues. The blank staring thing is probably normal. Licking a lit firepit though...I dunno.

Twyla 03-22-2014 11:11 AM

This started about 6 mths? Beginning of butt head stage - up your training. If you aren't with a trainer now, locate a good one. You have a lot of his basics, but that extra set of eyes can see what you and the pup are doing and get you headed in the right direction. Keep in mind for some dogs, the down position is a tough one as it can be seen as a vulnerable position.

The staring and licking may be from boredom and/or the beginning of OCD behavior. Up his exercise and again his training.

Your pup isn't mentally retarded as you put it, but he does need a good vet check that includes a discussion of the 2 behaviors of staring and licking. Then a good training program with a trainer making him work his brain and body.

Sarah~ 03-22-2014 11:22 AM

I have a dog that acts a lot like that, she's not dumb though she's just a bit stubborn. She took a long time to learn down, and she licks everything, stares a lot, I think it's a personality thing. She does have neurological problems (epilepsy) but I don't think that has anything to do with why she acts that way I agree with the person before me. Puppies are brats!

Blanketback 03-22-2014 11:33 AM

Lay and stay sound alot alike, especially if you're getting frustrated and your vocal intonation makes a long "AAAYYYYY" sound. Maybe it's that simple, and changing the command to "Down" would work?

SunCzarina 03-22-2014 11:34 AM

It's his age so I agree with everyone else, get into a training group. If you're in HS and still with your parents, look for a local 4H group, those are usually inexpensive.

HarleyTheGSD 03-22-2014 11:37 AM

My youngest male is 19 months old, and he just learned "down"/"platz" about three months ago. Everything else was picked up quickly, but for some reason, down was much more difficult.

TigervTeMar 03-22-2014 02:40 PM

I don't think he sounds retarded. since he knows so many tricks it may be that 'lay' just doesn't make any sense to him. licking may be a sign of boredom, or since dogs explore a lot through their mouths he likes the texture. who knows. he may stare at you when you talk to him but at least he doesn't stare in bewilderment at the walls or the couch, that would be retarded for sure. the fire thing may have been unwise but unless he did it repeatedly I think he showed some basic intelligence by only doing it once. learning through experiences and whatnot. my dog too changes sides repeatedly while walking. I never understood why 'heel' was such a good trick to teach until I got him. in summary, I don't think he's retarded. it sounds like he has his own personality

gsdsar 03-22-2014 03:30 PM

Can we please stop using this very offensive term????

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Castlemaid 03-22-2014 03:48 PM

I've changed the subject line - it is offensive to many.