Any one else have bad dog days? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Any one else have bad dog days?

If you have been following along with Tysons story which i know some of you have you will know he graduated his basic obedience and is now in the more advanced stuff. Well the trainer sent us home on sunday with a list of stuff to work on. Sharp 180 turns and sit stays in a busy environment. Yesterday i took him out just me and him and we practiced it all and he did really really well! today i took him out and he really acted like he had never done anything before he did not sit well or stay when asked and forget heal. So is it just me or does everyone else sometimes have off days with their dogs when it comes to stuff? when we got home i took him outside and played with him for awhile...he was really into playing around with his new flirt pole. I hope it is just an off day with him.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dogs have off days just like humans. If I feel Delgado is flat I move back to basics and end on a good note. For instance I had a weird day with Delgado yesterday; we went out for a walk to get the mail. It's a fairly short walk but we were practicing obedience most of the way doing turns, heeling, and automatic sits, etc.

We got the mailbox and I asked him for a down and he refused, I gave him a correction with the prong and he refused again while is really unlike him. After repeating the command he reluctantly obeyed and I praised him and we continued on. We still did obedience until we went home, after dinner and a short rest I worked with him on his downs, including those in motion and he obeyed very well as normal. So today we'll do the same exercise again and see how it goes, if he reacts the same way I know I have homework to do and we'll continue to practice until it's flawless again.

Now in his defense with the amount of snow and ice we've been having this winter we haven't be working our downs outside at all.

I use bad days not as a negative thing but a simple "uh oh" warning sign that we should be working on something a little more. But always keep positive and remember to use baby steps if needed.

One of my personal mantras is “tomorrow is another day” meaning that once today is over it’s over and everything negative that happened dies with the end of the day and the new day is a clean slate to be written on

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dogs have off days too. Best to step back and just play until tomorow when you can try it again.

I have off days too where I shouldn't be training because I'm short of patience.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had the same thing 2 weeks ago and my dog really kinda forget the basic i have teached him the basic for long time than simply he forget every thing like sit and down and other basic tricks but after 2 days he was back to normal it disturbed me but i think that's normal , good luck
Ka$per is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, when in the middle of puppy hood sometimes when I wish I had never gotten him and just enjoyed my old dog. But on those days I keep the bigger picture in mind when he will be two years old. Ahhhh, how I wish to know how to ff time sometimes.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We start fresh tomorrow, it may have also been because my 10 year old came with me, i know it should not really matter who and what the distraction is but it is the first time Evan has ever joined me on training walk lol (extended march break for him, yikes!) ohwell, you guys are all correct everyone and every dog i am sure has bad days,
Old 03-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hondo is a pretty solid dog. Sometimes he'll blow me off, but it is really pretty rare. One of the things we do every day is he'll walk with me to get my mail. We have a long drive way. The rule is, he has to sit at the gate and wait for me. He isn't allowed in the street off leash. Ever.

I don't count on him being solid, so I always wait till there are no cars and cross the road to get my mail. Before I actually cross, I'll give the command again and cross. He sits and waits. I don't say a word to him till I cross the imaginary line through the gate and I always say, "What a good boy!!!" and release him. We do this every....single...day.

A couple of days ago, I follow the normal routine. I turn and tell him wait, I cross the road, get my mail, turn around and he's gone. Gone. I was shocked. Apparently is was more important for him to run back to the house...past the house...to the barn and mess with the horse. Which is a double no-no.

I wonder what goes through their minds.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Lord yes!! I finally realize that I am frustrated and I step back and try and have fun with him. We save it for another day.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Where do I start lol. Dex has embarrassed me more than a few times. Im so positive he knows the routine that i volunteer us to run him through the rally course. Im so excited and feeling a little cocky but .....then we will get on the field and hes trying to drag me to the ducks or squirrel poop. he looks like not only didnt I work with him all week but that he has no obedience training whatsoever and that I let him run willy nilly all over the place.
Like Sp00ks said. I usually call it a day if this happens and we just go play, because it usually just goes downhill from there, if I stay..or uphill depending on which way the ducks are running.

Last edited by Msmaria; 03-19-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
Lord yes!! I finally realize that I am frustrated and I step back and try and have fun with him. We save it for another day.
Yes we had a blast when we got home with the flirt pole and he got a peice of crazy bread from little cesars on the walk lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.