Any one else have bad dog days? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Everybody has bad days.

Pongu melts down frequently so we get to have a lot of them. I'd like to say I'm over it, but that would be a lie. I'm over NQ'ing in trials but I am often sad and frustrated when he can't function in just everyday training.

I think I figured out the breakthrough we needed, though. As with most such breakthroughs it was an old piece of information that I just wasn't ready to hear until a recent instructor beat me over the head with it.

So now we're doing a little better. But yeah we still have plenty of bad days. Again, everyone does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciel View Post
Everybody has bad days.

Pongu melts down frequently so we get to have a lot of them. I'd like to say I'm over it, but that would be a lie. I'm over NQ'ing in trials but I am often sad and frustrated when he can't function in just everyday training.
Can you explain what he does when he 'melts down'? And can you now tell when he gets close to that point?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Yesterday, Bella (13 wks.) had an off day and it was evident pretty quickly. I stuffed some kibble in my pocket, for the first time on a walk to try to see if it may help her sit at each street crossing ? It did but I could tell her heart was just not into it. She did see a lady wearing some sort of hat and started barking, and another person she was more willing to accept a few pets. Later she was coaxed into taking a stick in her mouth and carrying it, she seemed content. I told her she was a good working dog and we brought the stick home together. Just a day that was not fast pace, good day, but a little aloof.
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Can you explain what he does when he 'melts down'? And can you now tell when he gets close to that point?
For Pongu these days, a "meltdown" now means he gets so stressed that he can't focus or work appropriately during a training session.

Here's an example of a diagnostic exercise we did last month:

As you can see from the video, he's always close to that point. Pongu is stressed to the verge of breaking from the very beginning of that clip, even when I'm only about 12-13 feet away (the first Down cue). This is a familiar park and he has the extra safety blanket of the mat for reassurance and to help him remember what he's supposed to be doing, but he is over threshold for that entire video, comes really close to breaking at 0:43, and finally does break on the last repetition when I'm about 75' away.

So yeah I can always tell when he's close to going over threshold but that information, in and of itself, seldom does me much good.

What has changed is how I approach our training sessions, where I set criteria, and how I use play vs. food as motivators. We've only been on the "new" training method for about eight weeks but I'm already seeing promising results, so hopefully this helps us on our journey.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Merciel - I can't see the video (IT police at work), but I'll be sure to look at it tonight! Great information!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

so training was a snore-bore something to endure -- then you
" when we got home i took him outside and played with him for awhile...he was really into playing around with his new flirt pole. I hope it is just an off day with him.

too much fun at home .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh I know right from the crazy bread half peice to the flirt pole...I really screwed up today.

insert walk of shame here.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by misslesleedavis1; 03-19-2014 at 06:33 PM.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Skadi used to have a lot more days when she would be constantly testing. Now that she is settling she has fewer of them... Grim has been climbing on top of his crate lately :-)
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Merciel if I were that dog I would wonder what you are asking and when I was doing your bidding.

Your down is angry. The dog downs . You march march into the dog to give it a treat ? The dog pops up into a stand and you treat again.

Are you teaching and proofing the down? Then keep the dog down, quietly praise it while walking quietly around it . Your down gets more angry, the dog shows confusion. Each time you walk up to the down who has just downed , he rocks forward in anticipation of standing and receiving the treat.

Better result if there had been less repetitions. Better result if you had released and relaxed the dog intermittently -- burst of running and down on the spot .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Are you teaching and proofing the down?
No, it's a diagnostic. I'm neither teaching nor proofing anything here.

The whole point is to do a stress test, that's why there are no movement breaks between repetitions and I'm moving farther away each time (12-13', then 25', then 50', then 75'). The goal is to see how Pongu responds at each level of raised criteria and how his movements change over the course of the exercise (and under the influence of increased stress) so that my instructor could see where exactly we needed to start work on his emotional state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.