Sudden dislike to.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sudden dislike to..

My 21 month old GSD has started attacking puppies (lots of growling, nipping and pinning) and certain dogs he does not like (three of them). He gets along with most dogs but seems to have an issue with some dogs. He used to be fine up until a couple of months ago. What is going on?

He isn't neutered, but i am planning to in the summer.
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds like maybe your puppy is starting to mature. He might be asking other dogs for a little respect now. You'll need to step up your leadership and let him know that that type of behavior isn't part of the game.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

How do i correct him on this?. I have a prong on him, but the one occasion i tried to correct it irritated him more so i haven't popped it since.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Funny how some dogs just don't like others. Kinda like people. My dog Odin (RIP) was a big 28" 100+ lb GSD. He was very people aggressive but wouldn't hurt a fly, ok maybe a fly. He'd let little ducklings chew on his lips and ferrets crawl up his legs. Never a dog fight ever. Until we went to observe a personal protection class. There was this standard poodle that walked by us, and he wanted to rip him apart!! Honestly all he did was just walk past us. Well he might of made eye contact, that'd be enough for Odin. I guess he didn't like the way he looked. Could have just been a dominance issue. Maybe yours feels threatened by some of these dogs? Maybe he feels the need to dominate these puppies but they're resisting him? If he's getting along with some of the dogs, then maybe there's friction on both sides. I think I would observe and study their body language when they meet or are together to see if you can pinpoint any behavior triggers. Your dog might be really signal sensitive, like Odin was. Maybe the slightest gesture sets him off, something you have missed. It might not be all your dogs fault .Then maybe you'll at least know where to start looking for solution. My dog wants to kill our rabbits. And chickens. Really high prey drive maybe? That's what we've got to work on ourselves.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ya know, after thinking about it, Lilies right. Nip it in the bud now. Attacking the pups is unexceptable. He needs to respect you and follow your commands . Sorry I get wrapped up in behavior issues. But the puppies safety ( and all the dogs) comes first. Once he's listening to you, put him in a "down stay" til he calms down. That has worked for me in the past. Maybe there's better ways someone out there knows.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.