Would I be better off with a GSD or Cane Corso? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Would I be better off with a GSD or Cane Corso?

Hi everybody

I was hoping to hear some viewpoints from people who have experience with both these breeds. But some background info first...

I have a three year old male lab, and I want to get a female dog soon. I have decided that I would like to get either a Cane Corso or a GSD. I am in Australia, so if anyone would like to share their experiences with Cane Corso breeders down here, that would be appreciated. I would most likely adopt a young adult GSD, since they are so readily available on dogzonline.com.au.

With my new dog, I plan on competing in obedience as well as Schutzhund. I am well aware of the differences between Schutzhund 'protection' and actual personal protection. I think it would be a fun sport and a good bonding opportunity for dog and handler. I do not need her to be a PPD.

Do you think that the average GSD or Cane Corso would have the temperament for Schutzhund? I have not been involved in this training before, but I am of the opinion that for SchI, most of the work can be done in prey drive, without really stressing the dog. It just plays tug with the bite sleeve.

Now for the important questions...

1. Dog aggression. Some people on internet forums are of the opinion that Corsos are quite likely to exhibit dog aggression. Is this just a socialization issue, or are they commonly genetically predisposed to this behaviour? Are they more likely to be dog aggressive compared to GSD, ceteris paribus? Dog aggression is not really acceptable to me, as it would be highly inconvenient for a dog which is first and foremost a family pet.

2. Health. In your opinion, when dogs are bred responsibly with appropriate health checks of parents, which breed tends to have more health issues? Perhaps it depends mainly on the individual line...

3. Accepting strangers/guests. In my experience, most GSD do not have a problem with this. What about Cane Corsos? My dog does not have to love everyone she meets, but at least tolerate a pat on the side etc. when I have visitors. The inconsistency in the Cane Corso breed is often mentioned.

4. Trainability. I have read from multiple sources that the Cane Corso is a very intelligent and highly trainable breed, with a high willingness to please. But I know for a fact that GSDs are extremely intelligent dogs. Are Cane Corsos even in the same ball park as GSDs, specifically regarding trainability for the three Schutzhund phases? (In general, of course).

Ok, I think that covers all of what I wanted to ask. I can deal with the shedding or slobbering of these dogs, so that isn't much of a factor. And I don't really appreciate how some CC have a very Boxer-like head. I don't think it looks good at all.

Anyway, your input/advice on any or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy.
JeremyAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do not think a Cane Corso is suitable for most people who are looking for social dogs with even temperaments or anyone looking to do sport. The Corsos that I have dealt with are are very large, very powerful dogs, with aggression issues, meaning they don't have the prey drive to carry them through the sport. They were bred to be property guardians/watch dogs and large game hunters, and the multiple that I know are not very social or accepting of strangers at all. I don't think that a Corso is even close to the same ballpark in any of the aspects you listed above. They are two totally different types of dog that really can't even be compared.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I do not think a Cane Corso is suitable for most people who are looking for social dogs with even temperaments or anyone looking to do sport. The Corsos that I have dealt with are are very large, very powerful dogs, with aggression issues, meaning they don't have the prey drive to carry them through the sport. They were bred to be property guardians/watch dogs and large game hunters, and the multiple that I know are not very social or accepting of strangers at all. I don't think that a Corso is even close to the same ballpark in any of the aspects you listed above. They are two totally different types of dog that really can't even be compared.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you want a social pet to dabble in sport, I see no reason to get a CC. If you do find one that has what it takes to do protection, it's going to be a very civil dog. They are much different to train than a GSD, so your local club might not have experience with working these types of dogs.

I see no reason to look at the CC breed considering what you want to do with the dog. Get a good GSD and you will have much more fun training, especially since you are new to the sport. Training "off breeds" can be fun, but typically takes a long time and a lot of experience to get things where you want them.

I got my CC from a shelter. I was evaluating him for aggression rehab and found that he was a perfect fit for my home. I would not recommend a CC for a first time sport / working dog owner at all. They can be a serious handful, which is why he ended up at the shelter in the first place. They are extremely powerful dogs, and require very consistent leadership and boundaries. If you give Lucian an inch, he will take a mile every time.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have seen several CCs at training clubs. I would not ever consider owning one. They are a liability IMO.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The corso I work regularly has little prey, and has to be worked in defense. Their size and structure makes the OB look flat no matter what you do for a sport meant for GSDs and Malis and Dutchies.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
They are much different to train than a GSD, so your local club might not have experience with working these types of dogs.
That is a good point, which I had not put a lot of thought into.

As for them being a handful, I think I could deal with an average Cane Corso, but that is definitely something to consider. I used to own a Neapolitan mastiff, but he was probably a little more laid back than a CC.

I might ask the same question over at the mastiff forum. I was expecting some bias towards GSD, but it appears that nobody here trusts the Corso breed lol.

One reason I was interested in the Corso is because of appearance. Not because I want to look tough, I just like big dogs . Obviously this consideration should never outweigh the actual suitability of the dog to my lifestyle.
JeremyAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Canes Corsos are great dogs but they are difficult to handle

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyAtkinson View Post
That is a good point, which I had not put a lot of thought into.

As for them being a handful, I think I could deal with an average Cane Corso, but that is definitely something to consider. I used to own a Neapolitan mastiff, but he was probably a little more laid back than a CC.

I might ask the same question over at the mastiff forum. I was expecting some bias towards GSD, but it appears that nobody here trusts the Corso breed lol.

One reason I was interested in the Corso is because of appearance. Not because I want to look tough, I just like big dogs . Obviously this consideration should never outweigh the actual suitability of the dog to my lifestyle.
I don't trust any breed. I trust dogs that earn it.

I wouldn't compare a Neo and a CC. Totally different temperaments IME.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

For what you want to do, I think you'll be happier and more successful with a good GSD. :
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.