German Shepherds Forum banner

This Had Me Concerned

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Wolfie just did the wackiest looking thing. We were walking in the back yard, when he stopped, turned his head so that his ear was facing the ground, and his paw came up in a bent fashion, like a pointer, and he froze there. I seriously thought he may be in trouble from the amount of time he stood like that. He put his ear lower, then started digging in the snow. Then he put his ear on the place he just dug, and dragged his ear along the ground, finally flopping on his side and rolling all over the snow. Then he repeated the process.
I saw a mole hole on the other side of the yard, so maybe he heard the mole under the snow. This behavior was strange even for Mr. Strange and Unusual himself.
I was really concerned that he may have had an episode or something. He's very healthy and has had no concerning problems. Maybe I am just overly sensitive to him. Has anyone ever heard of something like this before?

#3 ·
I bet he heard a mole or something else under the snow. Our pasture is over run with moles and gophers right now and Stosh does the same thing- foot up, ear tilted to the ground, staring. At first I thought he was looking at a bug but then he pounced on the ground and started digging. He will actually follow them along and track their movement. But knowing Wolfie, he might actually be seeing them!!

#4 ·
It makes me feel better to know that others have seen this kind of behavior. What you described Stosh doing is exactly what Wolfie was doing, and following a certain path. We have had a lot of snow on the ground all winter, so I guess with the melting going on, he can hear the moles under there now.

#5 ·
Cas has been 'tracking' moles all winter under the snow, sometimes while running and zig zagging! It's really weird...it looks like he's chasing an imaginary rabbit! We've had constant snow coverage this year and I've seen a lot of mole activity just under the snow. I'm with you, the first time I saw it, I couldn't believe he could hear that under the snow. Enjoy the show!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.