Puppy-ness? Or what did I do wrong? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy-ness? Or what did I do wrong?

Hello. would love some insight here from people who know what they're talking about & doing!

Is it too late to socialize our 5 month old GSD female? And if it's not... What are some ways to socialize her properly?
She has been in puppy classes/obedience training since the age of 10 weeks. She has been around several other dogs in class & a little bit of out of class. Her barking at other dogs probably started a month or 2 ago. She doesn't so much bark at dogs in her class....it's out if class... Dogs she doesn't see on a regular basis. When we go to the pet store & she sees another dog, bigger or smaller.... She's been known to LET LOOSE!! She isn't playfully barking...it's hard to tell what "type" of bark it is... But it's definitely not the playful bark. How do I break this? We have tried a clicker to get her attention & it works enough for us to get her attention @ which point we try to get her to be "quiet" or tell her "enough". Then she's back at it.... Where did I go wrong & can I fix it?

On another note... Out of curiosity... How many people have GSD's that LOVE the water?

Thanks in advance...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
enh811 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Search for leash reactivity in the Google search bar above.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

We are working on this issue as well with our 4 month old. I have watched a lot of videos /read threads on dog reactivity. You can find them easily with the search tool on this forum. The last two weeks, I have taken him to a local park that has a dog park near it, but keep my dog far away enough that he is not reactive (aka below threshold). Petsmart is "above threshold" for your dog (and mine too) right now so you won't be able to train him out of this there. You will have to work up to it.

Start further away from other dogs and work your way closer to them as you see him react less. Don't use the clicker to "get" his attention. You click during the wanted behavior. For me, the wanted behavior is for him to have his eyes on ME. When my dog looks away from the dog (or other distraction) and at me, I click and treat. I am using the command "watch me". Other trainers us "look at that" which trains the dog to see notice the distraction, but return their attention to you (initially for a treat). As we progressed, I would play tug, etc with him. It's all about YOU!

My neighbor that has a very stable 7 year old dog has let me practice with her dog by having her dog out across the sidewalk while I work with my dog on our side of the street. After two weeks of this training, I am proud to say that we took both of our dogs for a walk together tonight and my new pup did great! The reward for making it around the block with manners was a really fun play date when we got back home and I had a tired pup that went right to sleep when we got inside....and I let out a big exhale!

My dog barks at other dogs because he thinks he gets to play with every dog that passes. We begin agility and freestyle training tomorrow and he can't be acting all crazy after the other dogs while he should be training with me so I am hoping he is desensitized enough to stay focused on his training (which he loves!). "Other dogs in the room?? No big deal Mom!" That's what I am hoping he will say tomorrow! ;-)

Good luck!!

And my dog loves the water so much but hasn't gotten in the pool yet. He splashes in his water bowl and makes a mess and he loves the man made waterfall at a local park. We live in az though so we are hoping he takes to actual swimming this summer!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Heidi loves to swim. She doesn't mind her bath. But she hates rain, refuses to go out in it. Go figure.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

@tratkins: thanks for your input. We will definitely try this. We live in Indiana and have just had a very rough winter. We haven't been able to make it to a dog park yet. We will definitely try this when we get some spring like weather. I would have never even thought about it just being From the leash. I can't tell if she's wanting to play... Or if she just wants people to know she's there??? She LOVES to be center of attention. So we will try this.
As far as the water thing goes... Our girl is always trying to jump in our jacuzzi tub or the shower & always flips her water bowl and plays in it... We haven't had summer yet though to know of she will like the water.. I feel like it's hard to tell because when she gets baths... She doesn't care much for them??? Looking forward to spring/summer!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

@bridget: my girl does the same thing with her water bowl. Lol I'm glad she isn't the only one. It's kind of funny.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
Search for leash reactivity in the Google search bar above.

Thanks for suggesting this. It is very helpful & I would have never thought to think of this. Thanks again boomer11.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enh811 View Post
@tratkins: thanks for your input. We will definitely try this. We live in Indiana and have just had a very rough winter. We haven't been able to make it to a dog park yet. We will definitely try this when we get some spring like weather. I would have never even thought about it just being From the leash. I can't tell if she's wanting to play... Or if she just wants people to know she's there??? She LOVES to be center of attention. So we will try this.
As far as the water thing goes... Our girl is always trying to jump in our jacuzzi tub or the shower & always flips her water bowl and plays in it... We haven't had summer yet though to know of she will like the water.. I feel like it's hard to tell because when she gets baths... She doesn't care much for them??? Looking forward to spring/summer!!!

I used to live in Indiana (Ft Wayne) and I can say I don't miss the snow and cold at all! Lol maybe you can try taking her to pet store parking lot to try the same thing or a vet parking lot where dogs are coming and going but don't go in.

I hate the water bowl madness! We are lucky enough to have his water bowl on back patio and have bell trained him for the door. He tried to literally carry a bowl full of water I the house one time though! Silly puppies!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Titan LOVES the water.. I mean he probably was a fish in another life. Lol. The only thing with water he doesn't love is a bath.. lol.. at all. he listens and stands still but if looks could kill I would be dead.. haha. Anything else, rain, pools, lakes, rivers, ocean, you name it.. he's in it if he can get to it.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

@Wyoung: I hope our girl will be like that. Lol she is a spaz in the bath!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.