German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Stop chasing shadows (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/423026-stop-chasing-shadows.html)

Lennon0740 03-12-2014 12:30 AM

Stop chasing shadows

My 9mo old gsd Apollo over the last few weeks has been driving me nuts chasing shadows ..we just moved to a house from a townhouse and he has a huge fenced in backyard and he has changed for the good ...he can burn energy when he wants also we got 9 9 week old gsd Macy ..but the shadow chasing is getting to be too much he will sit and wait for hours just looking and whining ...I believe it stared as we played with a laser with him and from that point is history ...help with this matter would me great please and thanks

Thanks
Steven&jackie
Apollo..aka Paulie
Macy aka mater dog

carmspack 03-12-2014 01:35 AM

kids ---- don't play with lasers

obsessive behaviour is so hard to fix Why Dogs Chase Laser Beams (and Why It Can Drive Them Nuts) | LiveScience

your going to have to provide some redirection which will take time and patience

my boy diesel 03-12-2014 01:42 AM

often this will take medication to get under control so consult your vet
i am sorry you didnt know about laser toys
please help educate others on the danger now that you know

GatorDog 03-12-2014 08:13 AM

He might need some more mental stimulation, rather than just physical, to truly exhaust him to the point that it sounds like he needs in order to stop shadow chasing. Maybe enroll in a new class? Agility, scentwork, obedience, tracking...Just something else that will help drain his brain a bit. I would bet you wold see a big decrease in the shadow chasing then.

Stosh 03-12-2014 09:25 AM

DO NOT play with lasers- you're seeing the results. Obsessive behavior that comes from that can include chasing tails, compulsively biting themselves. You'll have to distract him from the compulsive behavior and take GatorDog's suggestions.

Baillif 03-12-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDog (Post 5181818)
He might need some more mental stimulation, rather than just physical, to truly exhaust him to the point that it sounds like he needs in order to stop shadow chasing. Maybe enroll in a new class? Agility, scentwork, obedience, tracking...Just something else that will help drain his brain a bit. I would bet you wold see a big decrease in the shadow chasing then.

This

Also punish any and all incidents of shadow chasing you see. When you cant pay attention to the dog crate him so he cant undo that work by doing the activity when you cant stop him.

Lennon0740 03-12-2014 05:30 PM

Thank you for all your kind words and help I'm going to start mentally challenging him as much as I can and I know the laser was a bad idea ...and I hate them as well I'm a police officer by trade and when I see them it doesnt sit to well with me either

my boy diesel 03-12-2014 05:37 PM

i would not punish the dog as it is something he cannot control
redirect yes but punish...? why? what would be the point? rhetorical question btw
my point is there is no point in punishing him

Baillif 03-12-2014 05:47 PM

The father of operant conditioning would like to have some words with you. You know, if he was alive.

Baillif 03-12-2014 06:47 PM

Totally serious explaination is this. Positive punishment (applying an unpleasant consequence with the intent of weakening a behavior) does exactly that. It weakens a behavior. If you want to stop the behavior you approach it like gatordog suggested but will also probably need to punish at some point to make that option less attractive to the dog.