barking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default barking

our GSD Luna will be 2 years old in a few weeks. She listens to most commands, but there is one problem that we have been having that has been getting increasingly worse. Her barking.....In the beginning I did not correct her when she barked if someone came to the door or approached me. My husband works nights and often is on deployments, so I actually felt more comfortable with her doing that with the kids and I alone a lot.
However...in The last 8 months she has started getting really upset when one of us leaves and barks like CRAZY. We are not gone long hours and usually someone is home with her....but even just running down to the store ends up being a barking issue. I have stayed outside and it takes her about 15 minutes to calm down....but her barking actually sounds like a temper tantrum or she is in pain.
She also barks when she wants to be petted. When we take walks any other dog or animal she sees she starts barking as well. She is not mean and enjoys playing with other dogs, but she sounds really vicious and typically people give me dirty looks and move away from us.
I know this is how dog communicate, but it starting to be a major issue. How can I start her on the path to learning the command to stop barking ( or nein laut) since we have be speaking german to her? Full disclosure is my husband has done 99% of her training, but with his work schedule recently he is only home on weekends, so it will be up to me to do it. Any advice appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have read on other threads to teach "sprechen" (speak) first then the quiet command. That may be worth trying. The book "Barking: the sound of a language" by Turid Rugaas is very helpful also.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

ok thanks! I will look into the book
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.