German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Can't keep him out of the cat litter boxes! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/420817-cant-keep-him-out-cat-litter-boxes.html)

Cinnacake 03-07-2014 07:03 PM

Can't keep him out of the cat litter boxes!

I have a 10 month old pup who gets fed two cups of Science Diet twice a day as he is roughly 80 lbs.
I have four cats, and a cat litter box in two rooms. The boxes are cleaned out twice a day, sometimes three. As often as possible to reduce the chances of the dogs going for it. I can't change their placement because I'm afraid to try to retrain my cats where it is- if I could even find another place for the boxes. I hate to close the cats in the room when I'm not home or not down the hall.
He always has plenty of water, toys to chew on, a bed to lay in and two other dogs to play with. I am just at a complete loss as to why he does this and how to stop him. I scold him for it daily as I usually can catch him in the act or just after. Most of the time he already rolls over with his ears down because he knows he was bad. Yet he does it anyway? It hasn't made him sick so far but I know it can't be good for him. He doesn't eat the other dogs' waste either.
Any ideas as to why/how to stop it?

Chip18 03-07-2014 07:19 PM

I don't usually recommend any "tools" as such but I'm going to say a properly used shock collar. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

I can tell you what "will not work" or at least didn't for me. Hot sauce I tried that because I had one dog that did this. I thought this will fix him! He thought, yummy Cajun style!:eek:

jrglade 03-08-2014 09:46 AM

I have same problem, but have sequestered the litter boxes on the other side of a gate that the cats can jump over to avoid the dogs and also eat in piece.

My vet told me there is a food additive that makes pet stool taste awful. May be worth a try.

Jax08 03-08-2014 09:54 AM

Move the litter box

Chip18 03-08-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5156689)
Move the litter box

Are you a no cat household?

Chip18 03-08-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrglade (Post 5156665)
I have same problem, but have sequestered the litter boxes on the other side of a gate that the cats can jump over to avoid the dogs and also eat in piece.

My vet told me there is a food additive that makes pet stool taste awful. May be worth a try.

Not really sure how you can make a cat stool taste worst, than uh..cat crap?:D

middleofnowhere 03-08-2014 11:22 AM

Worse to the dogs, Chip18, not worse to us! I haven't tried cat crap myself - nor do I intend to but every dog that's had access to them ever has thought they were the greatest.
I like the idea of the gates.

jrglade 03-08-2014 11:41 AM

Chip18--that's a good point--lol.

I have heard that cat crap is like a delicacy to dogs.

As for me, I actually gag when I see a dog eat it.

Chip18 03-08-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5157209)
Worse to the dogs, Chip18, not worse to us! I haven't tried cat crap myself - nor do I intend to but every dog that's had access to them ever has thought they were the greatest.
I like the idea of the gates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrglade (Post 5157345)
Chip18--that's a good point--lol.

I have heard that cat crap is like a delicacy to dogs.

As for me, I actually gag when I see a dog eat it.

:D

Tried to find something useful:
How to Keep Your Dog out of the Litter Box

pyratemom 03-08-2014 12:48 PM

My dog loves to eat cat poop. I don't let her if I see it before she does. I go over the part of the yard where the cat usually goes before I let Raina out. Otherwise her nose finds the piles and she will eat it in a second. I tried the hot sauce thing my vet recommended - didn't phase her at all. The only method I have found 100% works is put the box where the dog can't get to it. Gates with cat doors are great for that. I only have one indoor/outdoor cat left as the rest of her family has left us at their old age. She is now 15 and very spoiled. I also have one feral cat that comes around to be fed. She has been coming around now for at least 14 years and I have no idea how old she is. They learned to avoid Raina but not to not poop in the yard when she isn't there. Still working on that.