New shepherd showing jealousy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New shepherd showing jealousy?

I have a three dog household that has a husky, German shepherd, and a shepherd mix. The shepherd is the newest of the three and we've had him for a couple of months now. He and the Husky are both males, and I have been having trouble with the shepherd barking and growling whenever I pet the husky or he gets near me. Anyone have any idea of what could cause this behavior? Is it a pack structure type deal? He doesn't care if the female mix is around me it's just the husky. He also likes to block doorways when the husky is coming in the house and snap at him (not aggressively) and bark at him. Thanks
matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Issue sounds like you have been letting him make some decisions that shouldn't be up to him. Giving him a high place in the home and (sounds like) over you. Created a king!

You should be in charge and he should know it. YOU allow the other dogs near (or not), you can pet whoever you want. Once you allow one of the dogs decide these are his decision over you then you are losing control.

How are the dog classes going? Have you talked to your instructor? This is one of the many reasons we go so WE learn how to be the calm leader in the home and our dogs learn to look to us for guidance, rather than taking charge cause they can.

Have you been working on all of --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Good luck! Talk to your instructor they should have more recommendation to get you back into the leadership role so your pup doesn't feel they can fill that void.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Issue sounds like you have been letting him make some decisions that shouldn't be up to him. Giving him a high place in the home and (sounds like) over you. Created a king!

You should be in charge and he should know it. YOU allow the other dogs near (or not), you can pet whoever you want. Once you allow one of the dogs decide these are his decision over you then you are losing control.

How are the dog classes going? Have you talked to your instructor? This is one of the many reasons we go so WE learn how to be the calm leader in the home and our dogs learn to look to us for guidance, rather than taking charge cause they can.

Have you been working on all of --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Good luck! Talk to your instructor they should have more recommendation to get you back into the leadership role so your pup doesn't feel they can fill that void.
He's not in any obedience courses. As for the dominance, he doesn't seem to show any other signs of dominance over me. He listens when I tell him to do things, but this is really his only sign of dominance that he shows.
matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

He is showing dominance over you, that's my point.

He's in charge of who you pet.

He's in charge of letting the other dog near you.

If YOU were in charge, and he knew it, this wouldn't be a behavior you would see.

Have fun in dog classes, you'll be amazed how much more respect and love you get once your dog gets the balance in the home.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Maggie is not a blunt person, but she is saying that the dog thinks he is in charge and you need a trainer to show you how to take charge of him because if you don't, this will not be the only thing he does.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt86 View Post
He's not in any obedience courses. As for the dominance, he doesn't seem to show any other signs of dominance over me. He listens when I tell him to do things, but this is really his only sign of dominance that he shows.
Well some folks don't understand subtle and I'm more than happy to translate! ...NO, YOU ARE WRONG!

You asked for help and the first part of getting it, is learning to make sound decisions based on available information. Look for patterns and make sound decisions based on what seems to be a patterns.

(Elements of Temperament, by Joy Tiz )

Note rank drive, I had that problem, partial failure in leadership, I was the captain of the ship GSD said fine...I'll run the crew! Sound familiar?

Leerburg Dog Training | The Groundwork to Establishing Pack Structure with Adult Dogs
Leerburg On Demand | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with other Dogs
Leerburg Dog Training | Dealing with the Dominant Dog

You can tell us or me to get bent and go on your merry way but be sure to check back in, around 18 to 24 months from now and let us know how it's working out.

Oh and so you don't get hurt,just in case we are right:

...Leerburg | How to Break Up a Dog Fight Without Getting Hurt!

Take Care
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.