German Shepherds Forum banner

Can a dog tell another dog's breed?

1K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Gretchen 
#1 ·
I over heard a conversation at the off-leash park the other day. A person said of her large lab mix, "He doesn't like Golden Retrievers. He had a run-in with one when he was little."

Could this be true? Or is the dog queuing off some unconscious signals from his owner who is worried about it?

#2 ·
A jack russel at petsmart kept barking at Dex. His owner said he was attacked by a german shepherd. I don't know if they can differentiate or not.

#4 ·
I think to some extent dogs are able to recognize similarities between themselves and other dogs. My husky lights up like a Christmas tree when he gets to play with other sibes. Truly it is hilarious to watch.

#5 ·
Masi does not like golden retrievers either, she had some nasty experiences with one as a puppy, and I swear she knows a golden when she sees one:)

On the other hand, my sister has two papillons, when she sees one, she turns into a marshmellow, since I have an aussie, friend has aussies, she gets all excited when she sees ones that look like them to, so yes I guess I'd say she tends to tell one breed from another

#6 ·
I say yes. There was a dog show on either Discovery or Nat Geo that asserted the same. I have one female that loves new dogs except unfamiliar german shepherds. Weird!
I have another female that will take the offensive towards any husky she meets because she was bullied by one as a pup. One good sniff and she's over it, but yes; she can identify a husky (color irrelevant) from a distance.

#7 ·
Onyx doesn't like Aussies or Shelties. Our neighbor has a Sheltie that barks and runs(herds) constantly, so anytime Onyx sees one she wants to kill it.
When I volunteered with the rescue, anytime a husky would walk by the other dogs kennels, they would react due to the tailset and probably eyes.
I think now and then it is the way the breed carries themselves that makes other dogs react.

#8 ·
Elios doesn't really like huskys . But then again he doesn't like a lot of dogs hahaha
That is a really good question though! I think they do :) well I mean I like to think they do.
Shilo doesn't like weaten terriers, shiba inus, and fuzzy mixes because she has been attacked by them so maybe she thinks it's the same dog at first sight ?

#10 ·
Oh what a cool question...

My husky doesn't really like labs and goldens but he likes the 'bully' breeds and I think (think...) he knows his own breed...he just seems like he prances when he sees a husky...although he doesn't like males in general...so, I'm not sure

My GSD is too aloof to differentiate breeds. She's also a little too scared/aggressive for me to 'test' this...

Honestly, my two aren't socialized enough to answer this question, but that's the best I can do! C:

Very cute question/responses!

#11 ·
Kaleb is really good around dogs most of the time. At dog club it's always all GSD's. One day someone brought a doberman out and Kaleb freaked. He kept barking at him until I walked him further away and gave a correction. It's the only time he's reacted that way towards another dog.

#12 ·
Some lady's dog was playing with one of Reagan's favorite dogs to play with, and when he went running up to join it immediately turned around and snarled growled at him. Lady told me a shepherd attacked him and he is weary of them now.

And Reagan can't get enough of the golden ladies. They'll be ten- twenty dogs at the park and he just wants to follow around the goldens. Men and blondes, eh!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#13 ·
Our previous dog definitely discriminated against certain dogs. She disliked any breed with a pushed in nose, small white dogs because our neighbors' small white dogs attacked her and Dalmations for some reason.

Molly likes most dogs, but is a bit cautious if there is a dog a lot larger than her, which aren't very few.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.