German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Belgian Malinois (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/416506-belgian-malinois.html)

Jlmaiorana 02-26-2014 08:31 AM

Belgian Malinois

A few professionals have told me they believe my 5month old puppy has Belgian Malinois in her. I did some research on this breed and learned that its rare to find one in the US and these dogs were bred to be guard/police dogs. My girls temperament fits this breed so exact it's scary. The breeder I got her off of breeds with GSD from Germany. He commented to me never to bring her around mean people. Her shape, frame, and temperament greatly resembles a malinois. I plan on getting her DNA tested just out of curiosity. Does anyone own a GSD with Belgian Malinois? Any advice on training? She is very bright, obedient, and observant with strong protective and territorial instincts, but very dominant toward other dogs. She doesn't listen to us unless we are stern at all times.

Baillif 02-26-2014 08:56 AM

They are not rare. Certainly not as popular as gsd but not rare. They are everywhere people are always mistaking them for german shepherds. Lets see a picture.

I have a 50/50 mix. They run the gambit between more gsd and more malinois. I havent seen enough of them to make any generalizations but mine turned out more malinois in temperment than gsd.

The malinois was bred to herd. The guard dog police dog thing came later.

As for training. Go find a good ipo or ringsport trainer and learn from them.

Jlmaiorana 02-26-2014 09:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
pictures of her

Baillif 02-26-2014 09:13 AM

Its possible but she looks all gsd to me.

wyominggrandma 02-26-2014 09:19 AM

Looks like a sable GSD to me.

blackshep 02-26-2014 09:28 AM

Looks GSD to me

LoveEcho 02-26-2014 09:40 AM

She doesn't really resemble a Mal at all, I don't think. She's gorgeous, though :) I know a few higher drive GSD's that have temperaments similar to a mal's... and a few mal's with temperaments similar to a GSD's.

I agree with Baillif, find a trainer experienced with sport dogs.

stmcfred 02-26-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlmaiorana (Post 5092826)
The breeder I got her off of breeds with GSD from Germany.

What does your breeder say she is? Do you have papers?

Jlmaiorana 02-26-2014 09:43 AM

Yea, her grandfather was the 1998 Shutzhund world champ in Germany and I met the parents and grandmother and they all looked like GSD. But since I learned about this malinois breed, I notice the squareness and the same bone structure in the chest and all. And the temperament exactly. I don't know. I'm still curious and want to get dna.

Jlmaiorana 02-26-2014 09:45 AM

She is akc registered and I have copies of the parents trees also, but that's not proof of dna. I googled all her ancesters in Germany and they all look GSD. Breeder says full blooded GSD. Manlinois looks GSD also.