German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   No off switch (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/414946-no-off-switch.html)

newtexas 02-23-2014 01:50 AM

No off switch

I have an almost 6 month old puppy with no off switch. I have had him since he was 9 weeks old and have seen him sleep out of his crate 1 time for about 15 minutes. He gets plenty of exercise between ball, flirt pole, obedience training, tug, jogging, walks, and other outings. Enough exercise that we come home, he drinks some water and then will go to his bed and lay down. His head will touch the bed for about 5 seconds then he will stand up very fast and shake himself awake and then take off running and not calm down. No matter how much exercise, in three months he has not been calm. I can crate him and he will fall asleep almost immediately. I know he is a puppy but he NEVER stops. Does anyone have any ideas.

llombardo 02-23-2014 02:09 AM

My golden retriever puppy is now almost 9 months and the same way. No matter what I do he is always on the go.

David Winners 02-23-2014 02:30 AM

He may calm down at 2 years old or so ;)

llombardo 02-23-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 5069954)
He may calm down at 2 years old or so ;)

I figure about 10 with mine:rolleyes:

jocoyn 02-23-2014 05:08 AM

I have that issue. Beau will turn off in his crate or in a non stimulating environment and he will be 3 in July. In the house, he has to be sticking his nose in everything. I have embraced the "place" command on a Kurunda bed (the raised bed is nice because it is more obvious to both of us when a foot hits the floor.

middleofnowhere 02-23-2014 10:07 AM

Use the crate. Helps keep you sane.

Baillif 02-23-2014 10:13 AM

Send him to me. I love that kinda crap. Does he go into lala land when hes biting stuff?

Sunflowers 02-23-2014 10:15 AM

Scheduled nap times in the crate is what we did.
Even now, we do put him in his expen for him to relax.

Baillif 02-23-2014 10:29 AM

You could try the "sit on the dog" excercise to get him to chill outside of the crate. Pretty much put a leash on him stand or sit on that leash and then ignore him until he eventually gets bored and goes to sleep. If you wait till hes too old it will be too late eacpecially if you are only pulling him out of the crate to train or do fun stuff as it will clasically condition him to see you as a stimulus for crazy

llombardo 02-23-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5070810)
You could try the "sit on the dog" excercise to get him to chill outside of the crate. Pretty much put a leash on him stand or sit on that leash and then ignore him until he eventually gets bored and goes to sleep.

All ignoring goes out the window when they start to eat the leash.