German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Cesar millan?! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/414762-cesar-millan.html)

Strypher 02-22-2014 07:10 PM

Cesar millan?!

I watch this show a lot and I was just wondering like a lot of people here say never hit your dog never hit your dog. This guy be like punching his dogs yet they are all great dogs

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

nikon22shooter 02-22-2014 08:06 PM

I physical correct my dogs. Yes.

Strypher 02-22-2014 08:19 PM

When I said is it ok to spank my puppy butt everyone attacked me...

brembo 02-22-2014 08:23 PM

Is he punching them for correction or playing? You can get pretty rough with dogs in play and it's fine (depending on the dog) but I'd be wary of frequent physical corrections.

Deno 02-22-2014 08:27 PM

I be like watching his show all the time and I ain't never seen dat.

Blitzkrieg1 02-22-2014 08:34 PM

Re evaluate what your looking at. Correcting your dog appropriately be it with a prong, rolled newspaper or your fingers is all in timing and mindset. Doing it wrong usually gets you no where doing it right has benifits that become immidiately apparent.
Go find trainers that have numerous well trained dogs to their name and learn what you can. Imo there is much that can be learned from milan if you park your preconcieved notions at the door.

Deno 02-22-2014 08:34 PM

You don't want to spank your pup, it will make him hand shy.

wrenevere 02-22-2014 08:36 PM

I believe what Cesar does is a very particular way of handling dogs, one that can be easily misinterpreted - and that's what makes it dangerous.

I also thinks at times he goes a little overboard. I recall an episode of a lab afraid of gunshots and thunder and I cringed when he forced it to walk on a treadmill while thunder was playing. I mean, in the end the dog handled it better, but I just think the dog could have just been maintained to stay away from gunshots (how many dogs NEED to hear gunshots on a regular basis?) as well as thunder, I mean even using medication if necessary..it just seemed overboard.

THAT being said, I still think some of his methods DO work, even pretty well, if used properly. I have seen dogs become really reactive when all it would have taken in the beginning was a simple leash correction and they would have listened.

I think Cesar works best with dogs that are strong willed. I have had a lot of dogs in my life and I've had dogs that I would NEVER use physical force on just because they were much too timid, but I have also had dogs that would have walked all over me if I was just like "Do what I want and you get treats".

Sorry for the mini-essay. Just my two-cents :P

Harry and Lola 02-22-2014 08:40 PM

Doesn't Cesar given a physical correction where he gently pokes the dog in certain areas much like another dog would? I have not seen him punch a dog.

Dogs do not need to be hit, any dog, but especially highly intelligent dogs such as GSDs, if you are clear and consistent with your commands, then they will know what you want - you don't have to hit him to get him to do what you want. If they are not, then you are doing something wrong - he is getting confused by by you.

If you are getting frustrated with your dog, far better to leave for a while so that you don't react in anger and work with him when feeling calmer.

misslesleedavis1 02-22-2014 08:47 PM

Ive never seen him punch a dog. I dont ever see him get emotional either, he comes off as happy go lucky with his clients but when he works with a dog he does not get emotionally involved, I would think you would have to be pretty upset to full out punch your dog.