Regression in Training (Non-GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Regression in Training (Non-GSD)

My Pomeranian, Abi, has gone completely backwards in her training and I'm not sure where to go from here.

She had perfect off leash recall along with the basics: sit, stay, and down. "Counter" surfing had gone down to a minimum, and she was basically turning into a dream dog...

Now she's a nightmare. Last week, I put her outside to pee and she took off. I watched her pee and she started running around the yard. I called her and she ignored me. I calmly walked into the yard to retrieve her and she bolted. It took a few hours to actually find her as she was running through the neighborhood. Anything within her reach is fair game to her; I set a bowl of chips down next to me on the coffee table and I returned to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I don't have my back turned for a second before she's up on the table scarfing from the bowl. Anyone drops something on the floor and she's on it and trying to eat it, no matter how inedible it is.

I restarted NILIF now four days ago and it seems like everything has gotten worse; now she's resorting to nipping, soiling her crate, spinning on her leash when she's outside to the point where she nearly choked herself a few hours ago.

I'm considering doing a two week shutdown combined with extreme NILIF. Thoughts? Opinions?

She's completely healthy; she just had a vet check right when the problems started and the only thing I can't do at this exact moment is hire a professional trainer as I'm moving in a few weeks, but I'm already searching out a trainer in the city I'm going to.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

HOw old is she?

How come they become 'rebellious' at 6 months? (Where did my perfect puppy go?)

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Unsure of exact age, but her Gotcha Day is in April, so just about a year. She's spayed, but she did go through a full heat prior to spaying.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"Go mairidís beo"
Old 02-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Inconsistencies in dog behavior reflect the inconsistencies of their trainers. Look deep inside.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Inconsistencies in dog behavior reflect the inconsistencies of their trainers. Look deep inside.
So helpful.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you want to flirt you can use pms
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Have you had Poms before? My understanding is that they are a shrunken Northern breed so would more than likely be inconsistent off lead at best. I would not plan on having a small breed dog like that, with a tendency to run, off leash and would instead work on the other things. I had a Schipperke mix that was off leash 2x in his life - one he ran into a corn field, the 2nd time was on a long drag line and he went 40 feet to the car. I did tether him to another dog who was trusted off leash and that was all the freedom he could ever have. He didn't mind/know any different. Fenced yard.

It sounds like she is sensitive and trying to offer behaviors to you based on what you are doing - stop with the NIlif and instead do something to engage her, reward her, and tell her what to do. She's confused. She needs you to interact with her in a positive way, reinforcing what you want to see.

Check out Dr. Sophia Yin's website. She has people tether the dog to them, keeps it upbeat and uses the sit a lot.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

i never expected
my dogs to leave food alone
if i leave it sitting out
where they can access it
dogs are scavengers
and will eat anything they can
whenever or wherever they can
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Review your training and go back to puppy 101 and yes, the NILIF. Have you unknowingly scared her, let her get away with anything? Can her hormones be still running wild?
Poms are generally a breeze to train and were one of the best students in my classes.
Btw: how can a Pomeranian counter surf?
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Have you had Poms before? My understanding is that they are a shrunken Northern breed so would more than likely be inconsistent off lead at best. I would not plan on having a small breed dog like that, with a tendency to run, off leash and would instead work on the other things. I had a Schipperke mix that was off leash 2x in his life - one he ran into a corn field, the 2nd time was on a long drag line and he went 40 feet to the car. I did tether him to another dog who was trusted off leash and that was all the freedom he could ever have. He didn't mind/know any different. Fenced yard.

It sounds like she is sensitive and trying to offer behaviors to you based on what you are doing - stop with the NIlif and instead do something to engage her, reward her, and tell her what to do. She's confused. She needs you to interact with her in a positive way, reinforcing what you want to see.

Check out Dr. Sophia Yin's website. She has people tether the dog to them, keeps it upbeat and uses the sit a lot.
I've never had a Pom before, but I have had dogs from the Spitz family in the past. The house we are moving to has a fenced yard. She was doing so very well off leash. The last time she bolted was about three months after we brought her home. I moved way too fast training wise and it was my fault. Since she was 100% when it came to recalling (100ft long lead, so she never felt like she was on one), I figured it was okay to just let her out to potty without one. Needless to say, she's always going to be tethered to something when outside.

I will have to try that. I've been trying to engage her and it seems like she's just on shutdown mode; she'll just sit down and stare at me. I've never been a fan of the tether method, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
i never expected
my dogs to leave food alone
if i leave it sitting out
where they can access it
dogs are scavengers
and will eat anything they can
whenever or wherever they can
To each their own, I guess. I could leave anything in front of Finn and I can expect that he won't take it. It's something I train from the beginning as it keeps them from picking up something potentially harmful during walks. I don't think it unreasonable to be able to expect a dog to leave something alone, no matter where it's at.

"Go mairidís beo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.