German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Regression in Training (Non-GSD) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/414418-regression-training-non-gsd.html)

Shaolin 02-22-2014 03:59 AM

Regression in Training (Non-GSD)
 
My Pomeranian, Abi, has gone completely backwards in her training and I'm not sure where to go from here.

She had perfect off leash recall along with the basics: sit, stay, and down. "Counter" surfing had gone down to a minimum, and she was basically turning into a dream dog...

Now she's a nightmare. Last week, I put her outside to pee and she took off. I watched her pee and she started running around the yard. I called her and she ignored me. I calmly walked into the yard to retrieve her and she bolted. It took a few hours to actually find her as she was running through the neighborhood. Anything within her reach is fair game to her; I set a bowl of chips down next to me on the coffee table and I returned to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I don't have my back turned for a second before she's up on the table scarfing from the bowl. Anyone drops something on the floor and she's on it and trying to eat it, no matter how inedible it is.

I restarted NILIF now four days ago and it seems like everything has gotten worse; now she's resorting to nipping, soiling her crate, spinning on her leash when she's outside to the point where she nearly choked herself a few hours ago.

I'm considering doing a two week shutdown combined with extreme NILIF. Thoughts? Opinions?

She's completely healthy; she just had a vet check right when the problems started and the only thing I can't do at this exact moment is hire a professional trainer as I'm moving in a few weeks, but I'm already searching out a trainer in the city I'm going to.

MaggieRoseLee 02-22-2014 10:36 AM

HOw old is she?

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-puppy-go.html

:)

Shaolin 02-22-2014 11:40 AM

Unsure of exact age, but her Gotcha Day is in April, so just about a year. She's spayed, but she did go through a full heat prior to spaying.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Baillif 02-22-2014 11:46 AM

Inconsistencies in dog behavior reflect the inconsistencies of their trainers. Look deep inside.

DJEtzel 02-22-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5066642)
Inconsistencies in dog behavior reflect the inconsistencies of their trainers. Look deep inside.

So helpful. :rolleyes:

Baillif 02-22-2014 12:05 PM

If you want to flirt you can use pms

JeanKBBMMMAAN 02-22-2014 12:13 PM

Have you had Poms before? My understanding is that they are a shrunken Northern breed so would more than likely be inconsistent off lead at best. I would not plan on having a small breed dog like that, with a tendency to run, off leash and would instead work on the other things. I had a Schipperke mix that was off leash 2x in his life - one he ran into a corn field, the 2nd time was on a long drag line and he went 40 feet to the car. I did tether him to another dog who was trusted off leash and that was all the freedom he could ever have. :) He didn't mind/know any different. Fenced yard.

It sounds like she is sensitive and trying to offer behaviors to you based on what you are doing - stop with the NIlif and instead do something to engage her, reward her, and tell her what to do. She's confused. She needs you to interact with her in a positive way, reinforcing what you want to see.

Check out Dr. Sophia Yin's website. She has people tether the dog to them, keeps it upbeat and uses the sit a lot.

my boy diesel 02-22-2014 01:47 PM

i never expected
my dogs to leave food alone
if i leave it sitting out
where they can access it
dogs are scavengers
and will eat anything they can
whenever or wherever they can

wolfy dog 02-22-2014 02:13 PM

Review your training and go back to puppy 101 and yes, the NILIF. Have you unknowingly scared her, let her get away with anything? Can her hormones be still running wild?
Poms are generally a breeze to train and were one of the best students in my classes.
Btw: how can a Pomeranian counter surf?

Shaolin 02-22-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN (Post 5066794)
Have you had Poms before? My understanding is that they are a shrunken Northern breed so would more than likely be inconsistent off lead at best. I would not plan on having a small breed dog like that, with a tendency to run, off leash and would instead work on the other things. I had a Schipperke mix that was off leash 2x in his life - one he ran into a corn field, the 2nd time was on a long drag line and he went 40 feet to the car. I did tether him to another dog who was trusted off leash and that was all the freedom he could ever have. :) He didn't mind/know any different. Fenced yard.

It sounds like she is sensitive and trying to offer behaviors to you based on what you are doing - stop with the NIlif and instead do something to engage her, reward her, and tell her what to do. She's confused. She needs you to interact with her in a positive way, reinforcing what you want to see.

Check out Dr. Sophia Yin's website. She has people tether the dog to them, keeps it upbeat and uses the sit a lot.

I've never had a Pom before, but I have had dogs from the Spitz family in the past. The house we are moving to has a fenced yard. She was doing so very well off leash. The last time she bolted was about three months after we brought her home. I moved way too fast training wise and it was my fault. Since she was 100% when it came to recalling (100ft long lead, so she never felt like she was on one), I figured it was okay to just let her out to potty without one. Needless to say, she's always going to be tethered to something when outside.

I will have to try that. I've been trying to engage her and it seems like she's just on shutdown mode; she'll just sit down and stare at me. I've never been a fan of the tether method, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5067066)
i never expected
my dogs to leave food alone
if i leave it sitting out
where they can access it
dogs are scavengers
and will eat anything they can
whenever or wherever they can

To each their own, I guess. I could leave anything in front of Finn and I can expect that he won't take it. It's something I train from the beginning as it keeps them from picking up something potentially harmful during walks. I don't think it unreasonable to be able to expect a dog to leave something alone, no matter where it's at.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2