Becoming social??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Becoming social???

I was curious if it would help my dog to not be so reactive towards other dogs if we took him to the pet store a few days a week and got him use to seeing other dogs? He is 4 and has some bad habits we need to break. Yes we have a trainer but tonight was the first night. He knows all his commands but reacts really bad towards dogs. Do people still use choker chains? Not saying I would jut curious!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Ares105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you just take him out and don't actually engage him/train him around the other dogs, it is going to make it WORSE because he is going to be self-rewarding himself for doing it.

Don't use a choke chain. Use a martingale or a prong collar fitted properly. Get a clicker and try Look at That training- works marvelously for reactive dogs.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I actually already do this with a ball. Our release word is ok. He does pretty well in the house. Due to the weather we haven't been able to get outside and do it with more environmental distractions. His reactions towards other dogs is flat out embarrassing plus he weighs 105 so I get pulled. How is a pinch collar used correctly so I know I am doing it right?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares105 View Post
I actually already do this with a ball. Our release word is ok. He does pretty well in the house. Due to the weather we haven't been able to get outside and do it with more environmental distractions. His reactions towards other dogs is flat out embarrassing plus he weighs 105 so I get pulled. How is a pinch collar used correctly so I know I am doing it right?

I think you might be confused. LAT training does not involve the dog getting to interact with it's trigger. You mark for looking at the other dogs briefly, from a distance where he does not react. Other dogs start to become a cue to look back to you.

How to fit a prong collar
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok. I was confused. I think what I am also confused with is I don't understand marking the other dog. He goes bat crap crazy. I don't know how to make him be quiet. I can't get to pay attention to anything other then that dog! I watched the video but it isn't making me get it. I'm def frustrated.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I see in the video what she is doing and I get that. A toy and a dog for him would be totally separate. I can get him to focus on me then the toy by saying look at me. But another dog would be a totally diff distraction for him. The trainer gave me a lot of things to do for two weeks then she is calling me back to see how it goes.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I see in the video what she is doing and I get that. A toy and a dog for him would be totally separate. I can get him to focus on me then the toy by saying look at me. But another dog would be a totally diff distraction for him. The trainer gave me a lot of things to do for two weeks then she is calling me back to see how it goes.

If he's reacting, then he is over his threshold and you need to add distance until he DOESN'T react, and mark/treat for him looking at the other dogs. Do it FREQUENTLY to build up value in looking at other dogs then back to you for a reward. You shouldn't be calling this anything or talking, just clicking and treating.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I do have a clicker so I can use that. Can this just be done on walks? He doesn't react to dogs behind a fence. He perks up but that's it. So let me get this straight....when we see a dog I'm suppose to click to get his attention so he looks at me? Is this the first step? Then if he looks at me I reward? If he keeps barking then what?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Many GSD owners meet their "Waterloo" of sorts and DA is one that has certainly tested me over the shepherds I have owned....my current one is the best at minding her manners but yet still is probably the most "tense" when minding her manners while encountering other dogs while on leash....off leash...not a situation. The video shows a dog minding it's manners over an inanimate object..not another dog on leash in close proximity which may or may not be just as hyped up to get to the other leashed dog....so I might suggest it is not that easy. I can, at any time make my dog wait or relinquish the highest prized items at my choosing BUT...the biggest difference is...when asking a dog to hold position or be "civil" when they encounter other dogs they do not get a similar reward as a dog merely be instructed to wait for a fuzzy toy on the end of a fishing line....the dog always was rewarded with getting the fuzzy toy...unlike a dog on leash getting a similar reward....the other dog.

However, I believe there is merit to the process shown in the video....teaching a dog to obey under distraction even if the reward IS the distraction perhaps leads to the dog understanding "good behavior" amongst it's peers.

I believe the OP asking if exposure to other dogs might aid in the desired behavioral changes....I cannot see any other method which would test the dog's ability in this department....however...having a command over your dog in other areas....such as holding a sit/wait for a fuzzy toy until released...most certainly would help build this foundation which ultimately comes to fruition regarding on leash DA.

For many, including myself it has proven to be a challenge but I can attest to the fact....that if you diligently work at it....it will change.

SuperG
SuperG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I do have a clicker so I can use that. Can this just be done on walks? He doesn't react to dogs behind a fence. He perks up but that's it. So let me get this straight....when we see a dog I'm suppose to click to get his attention so he looks at me? Is this the first step? Then if he looks at me I reward? If he keeps barking then what?

Yes, you can do this on walks, it sounds like that would work better since he is less reactive towards these dogs.

A click is the marker, to bridge the gap between the "correct behavior" and the reward (treat) that will follow.

So every time you click, the dog gets a treat. You click at the exact moment the dog is doing the behavior you want.

In this case, as soon as he looks at those dogs, you click and give him a treat. He does NOT need to look back at you at this point. Just click and reward him, then continue clicking/treating each time he looks at the dogs (or if he's continuing) as long as he is not barking/growling. If he starts to bark, you walk away and increase your distance to where he is able to function and focus on you for some "sits" "downs" or "touches" on command for rewards to get his attention back on you and calm him. Then go back to click/treating for him looking without barking at the dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.